It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Starting my 7th week....but running into a problem...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:20 pm 

Started the Sinclair Method on 4/27. The first month I drank much less than normal and had a slight aversion to alcohol, however, am struggling with my consumption again. I know this was considered the "honeymoon" period, but it's really difficult now. But there is another issue that I am struggling with that makes this much more difficult. When I drink excessively I get very hungry and eat a lot more than I normally would if I were drinking light to moderately...so no surprise I am gradually putting on weight which makes me feel horrible (this did not happen the first three weeks because the NAL put the brakes on the drinking). I am about 30 lbs over weight (this happened the past five years when my drinking really escalated)...and I do not want to gain another pound...so...was thinking about stopping the drinking altogether to get slim again...then when I choose to drink I will continue the NAL program (because I don't know how long this period of heavy drinking/eating will last for me before the Sinclair Method starts to work, I can't afford to gain weight and feel worse about myself). As far as I can see, I certainly wouldn't lose any ground with the progress I have made on the Sinclair Method for the past six weeks, but would just not make anymore progress until I start drinking while on the NAL again. I have been very good at waiting an hour + before my first drink....and will never drink again without taking the pill first. Any thoughts? Would rather be slim and deal with this very difficult time period of the treatment rather than putting more weight on my small frame...really freaks me out!! :x

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Starting my 7th week....but running into a problem...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:35 am 

I know how you feel. There's a good 30 I'd like to get rid of too. It may sound totally vain and shallow, but it's the weight gain that really kills me with drinking so much. I try as much as I can to treat every drink with the same guilt I would if I were eating a cupcake since a lot of times, the calories is the same in each.

Taking a break certainly wouldn't hurt any. If anything, being off the nal and AL for a while would be a good time to start up an exercise program and get some natural endorphins pumping.

Week 1: 40 (0 AF)
2: 51 (1 AF)
4: 39 (1 AF)
6: 24 (3 AF)
8: 9 (5 AF)
10: 11 (4 AF)
12: 24 (3 AF)
14: 19 (4 AF)
15: 26 (3 AF)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:26 pm 

I'm in the same boat as both of you. I binge eat whenever I binge drink and it's hard to separate the two, even though when I'm not drinking I eat very healthy. Knowing I'd inevitably gain weight while doing TSM was definitely a drawback, but honestly for me in the big picture it just doesn't matter. Getting over my alcoholism is a life or death matter. Being a little chubbier than I'd like for a few months is insignificant in comparison. I am trying to see it as a light at the end of the tunnel. If I succeed at TSM I'll be able to drop the weight and get all components of life back on track. It actually gives extra incentive and motivation to reduce our drinking as much as possible so as to avoid the extra calories!

If I were to give you a suggestion (take it or leave it) it would be this: Rather than going totally AF for several months while you slim down try just drinking a small amount and track the calories from the drinks. That might help keep you from drinking more than you want and the hunger cravings probably won't start with just a small amount of alcohol in your system.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:49 am 

Sorting your alcohol problem would for me, take precedence over drinking, you'll also consume a lot less kcalories once your alcohol intake drops.

Cravings eliminated Sept 2011
Now fully in control, alcohol no longer bothers me. Chose to go AF from 22nd July 2013.
TSM set me free

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:08 pm 

jackson_pdx wrote:
I know how you feel. There's a good 30 I'd like to get rid of too. It may sound totally vain and shallow, but it's the weight gain that really kills me with drinking so much. I try as much as I can to treat every drink with the same guilt I would if I were eating a cupcake since a lot of times, the calories is the same in each.

Taking a break certainly wouldn't hurt any. If anything, being off the nal and AL for a while would be a good time to start up an exercise program and get some natural endorphins pumping.

Thank you for your input. Sorry it took me so long to respond. Yes, I am exercising now and feel great...but know I have a big challenge ahead when I start drinking again/continuing the program.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:20 pm 

je3625 wrote:
I'm in the same boat as both of you. I binge eat whenever I binge drink and it's hard to separate the two, even though when I'm not drinking I eat very healthy. Knowing I'd inevitably gain weight while doing TSM was definitely a drawback, but honestly for me in the big picture it just doesn't matter. Getting over my alcoholism is a life or death matter. Being a little chubbier than I'd like for a few months is insignificant in comparison. I am trying to see it as a light at the end of the tunnel. If I succeed at TSM I'll be able to drop the weight and get all components of life back on track. It actually gives extra incentive and motivation to reduce our drinking as much as possible so as to avoid the extra calories!

If I were to give you a suggestion (take it or leave it) it would be this: Rather than going totally AF for several months while you slim down try just drinking a small amount and track the calories from the drinks. That might help keep you from drinking more than you want and the hunger cravings probably won't start with just a small amount of alcohol in your system.

Hello, thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them. After I stopped drinking for a couple of weeks I thought I'd try (as you mentioned) having one or two drinks a couple of times a week while I lost weight so that I could continue getting the benefits of the NAL...but I really bombed out and over drank and binged a bit. Guess at this juncture I need to do what feels best (losing weight first without drinking)...I am super sensitive to being over weight and start panicking when I see the scale creeping up. Hopefully I will be in better shape emotionally when I continue the program in Sept. or Oct. One positive change I have noticed, however, is that it is not as big of a deal stopping the drinking in order to lose weight. Before the program I kept caving in to the alcohol cravings (and felt very nervous) and could not manage to stop drinking long enough to lose weight. At least the cravings and nervousness have subsided...
Has the program worked for you?...haven't read your profile/comments.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:00 am 

I am so impressed that you can just stop the drinking for a couple of weeks !! It is sounding good that you are exercising. I do agree with UKB that the drinking problem needs sorting more than the weight problem - but if you can just stop for a couple of weeks when you want, do you have a problem ? I would just stop, then if I wanted to drink, take a Nal - yes it will take longer because the extinguishing stuff will only work when you take the Nal and drink - but if you are not drinking for weeks at a time, then it shouldn't matter how long it takes - if that makes any sense ? I know what I am trying to say but it is coming out very confused !

Hugs, Maggie

Month 12: 4 drinks TOTAL (Dec '15)
13: 2 drinks (nearly) for Jan '16 !!!
None since Jan '16 I feel that I can safely say that I am cured!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:41 am 

Hi Maggie thank you so much for replying to my post. I totally agree with you that it doesn't matter how long it takes for TSM to work as long as I take the Nal first everytime I drink. Just to clarify my post, I've only been able to stop drinking for weeks at a time since I've been taking the Nal. Normally I'm nervous and pacing the floors wanting a drink....unable to stop for a day or two. So I am beginning to see positive changes. Although I also agree that the drinking problem should normally be addressed first, there is a tremendous amount of anxiety associated with being 30 pounds overweight for me... that's why I'm addressing this problem first. How is your progress coming along? I see that you have been on naltrexone longer than me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:53 am 

The community is ranked for the motives and enduring specs for the main department. The stint of the best resume writing service 2020 is flexible for the mounting pressure for humans. It is signed for the outage of the forms for all parts. The theory is ensured for the help of the candidates.

Profile E-mail