It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Starting this tonight
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:42 pm 

Took 50mg Naltima about 50 minutes ago. Going to pour myself a glass of wine in 10 minutes. I chose wine as my control as I see it as a happy medium between liquor and beer, which I would alternate when I drank depending on what I felt like having. Would drink anywhere from 5-7 over a few hours or a few bottles over 4-5 days if I really went all out (this was rare). Usually it would just be a lot over the course of one or two nights. Interested to see how this goes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Starting this tonight
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:12 pm 

Best luck, Silvereclipse! You can cut the pill and take 25mg if the side effects are a bit much. Best to take it on top of a meal and follow up with plenty of water to minimize any discomfort.

Please let us know how it's going for you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:25 pm 

Very immediate effects. Drank 3 glasses and a sip in about 2 and half hours and just don't want any more. Poured the 4th glass down the sink and put the wine away. Three drinks would usually be my jump off point to a lot more. No real side effects except slight nausea.

I'm encouraged, but not shocked or anything. It's chemistry. Why WOULDN'T it work for a lot of people? That's why this made so much sense to me to try. Looking forward to continuing with this. Obviously I need a larger sample size than one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:37 pm 

That sounds like a pretty clear confirmation that it's going to work for you. Most people get that, but if you don't, it doesn't mean TSM won't work for you.

TSM is very up and down, so you may see a rebound a week or a month down the road. That's perfectly normal. Have a look at the graph on this site so you get an idea of it:

https://www.buffalorising.com/2017/08/d ... elf-sober/

Many of the people here have said that "TSM is a rollercoaster", so buckle in and don't let it throw you off. When you get a rebound, it generally rolls off more slowly to a new low. You can try habit busting tricks like leaving your drink in another room so it's not so easy to chain-sip. Keep a NA drink close by so you have a healty substitute. Pushing back your normal start time can help too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:53 pm 

JoeSixPack wrote:
That sounds like a pretty clear confirmation that it's going to work for you. Most people get that, but if you don't, it doesn't mean TSM won't work for you.

TSM is very up and down, so you may see a rebound a week or a month down the road. That's perfectly normal. Have a look at the graph on this site so you get an idea of it:

https://www.buffalorising.com/2017/08/d ... elf-sober/

Many of the people here have said that "TSM is a rollercoaster", so buckle in and don't let it throw you off. When you get a rebound, it generally rolls off more slowly to a new low. You can try habit busting tricks like leaving your drink in another room so it's not so easy to chain-sip. Keep a NA drink close by so you have a healty substitute. Pushing back your normal start time can help too.

I have no normal start time. I was always very erratic. I could grab some booze on my way home from work or have a night I didn't plan to and run to the store at 9. I also have more days I don't drink than days that I do. Just very heavily and unpredictably on those days. So I'm going to have purposeful nights like this where I'm letting the process work, but will always keep Naltima in my car and wallet just in case.

Believe me, even if I had 5 drinks next time and stopped it would, overall, be an incredible improvement on the macro-scale.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 pm 

Sounds like a good plan, Silvereclipse. Please keep us up on how it's going for you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:42 pm 

JoeSixPack wrote:
Sounds like a good plan, Silvereclipse. Please keep us up on how it's going for you!

Was a bit nauseous this morning and very jittery. Having coffee might have exacerbated that, but it was abnormal, for sure. Is cutting the pill in half a normal thing to do?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:08 pm 

Yes, many start out with a half dose. Taking it on top of a meal and getting plenty of water throughout the evening helps to less the side effects. For those that get nausea, it seems to fade within the first couple of weeks. Some find OTC motion sickness meds helpful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:39 am 

JoeSixPack wrote:
Yes, many start out with a half dose. Taking it on top of a meal and getting plenty of water throughout the evening helps to less the side effects. For those that get nausea, it seems to fade within the first couple of weeks. Some find OTC motion sickness meds helpful.

Thanks. I'm going to cut the pill in half next time and make sure to eat and see how that works for me. It will also make the amount I bought last longer. I only purchased 10 because I wanted to see if it actually worked for me before I put more money into this. I wasn't gonna drop $90 (not a terrible large amount, but still) on 30 50mg of Naltima and then potentially see no change in my habits.

Another question, is there a recommended frequency? Because I have a job that I love so I'm not going to drink at all during the week and risk having to miss any days because I feel like ****. Nor would I want to go into work as noticeably jittery as I was Saturday morning. Everyone would definitely notice something was wrong and it's not like this is something I want to discuss with my relatively new (been there for six months) co-workers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:22 am 

If you're in the US, you might consider working with a doc on this and getting a prescription. Using GoodRx.com, I got the Naltrexone for under $40 per 30 pills. I used a different pharmacy than usual, paid cash and didn't offer my SSN.

Look under Find a Physician in the menu on this page, the Verified and the Telemedicine sections have docs that know TSM:

http://www.cthreefoundation.org/home.html

As far as frequency goes, the general guidance is to drink when you crave (after taking the pill and waiting an hour). Sounds like you're restricted to weekends though, until you get past the side effects. Once you can drink on the weekdays without too much fallout, proceed at will. The perfect TSM drinking session is one and done, but not everyone can manage that. After the first, look for reasons to go dry for the rest of the night if you can feel ok about that. The dry side will start to look more attractive and the urge to drink will start to fade, so if you're ever on the fence about the next drink, really consider hanging it up for the rest of the evening and letting your BAC drop back down towards normal.

Profile E-mail