It is currently Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wolfie's progress and thoughts...
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:12 am 

A TSM Interview Series?

A lot of us are surprised and frustrated that TSM isn't more well-known for such a common and debilitating problem in society.

When I first heard about TSM, I was a little sketched out how little content and stories there was out there. This message board (that looks like it was ripped from the digital design aesthetic from 1997) seems like about the only respite to share and learn and discuss for us guinea pigs.

I was wondering what people would think about some kind of interview show or podcast where people talk about their experiences.

So basically one-on-one interview style segments with Q&A.
- Drinking history over time
- Failed attempts to curb or stop
- What makes you different from "normal" drinkers?
- How did you hear about TSM
- Initial experience, side effects
- Progress over time
- Set backs
- Friends and Loved ones, and their take on it
- Current relationship with Alcohol
- Future goals
- Tips, advice or lessons along the way

It could be via skype or audio only if people are concerned about privacy. I'd want to hear from those "cured" as well as those anywhere along the path.

I have little interest in hearing about the "how bad it got" stories that AA tends to wallow in. We get it, Al can cause shitty life situations. Rather, I'd want to focus on the mechanics of Nal and it's historical effects on drinking patterns. How it feels to drink on it. What the graph of consumption looked like for a person over time. How it changed their lives.

They could grow over time, getting all kinds of people and perspectives to share. It could be housed on a YouTube channel or website or podcast series. Basically a place to hear about what it's like to go through the TSM journey aimed at people who are interested in learning from first-hand accounts.

I would have found this immensely valuable when first researching Naltrexone and how The Sinclair Method Works. It just seems a little too good to be true on first glance, and many struggling with drinking are already so cynical -- it might be nice to get some first hand testimonials and in-depth interviews of how all this works.

Anyway, just a brainstorm I had today. What do you think of the idea?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:11 pm 

It could work, the participants may have to be ok with being identified (I have a rather unique voice, for instance).

Seth.i.rosen on this board and also on OptionsSaveLives has suggested this, don't know how far he got with it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:48 am 

Weekly unit updates:

Week 23: 11.5
Week 24: 7
Week 25: 5.5
Week 26: 12.5

I realize that my unit counting may be different than some. I read a few other posts from folks who define a "unit" as half a pint of 3-4% beer.

I've been recording one drink as one unit. One glass of wine, one can or pint of beer (regardless of % as I don't drink heavy beers) and the rare liquor drink, all as 1 unit. So even though one fancy cocktail isn't the same Al as a Coors light, I count them the same and think the numbers balance out on average over time.

Number have been a bit lower. Plenty of AF days. A couple of hangovers this month and that one heavy night of drinking I wrote about earlier in week 23, all units being in a single day the rest AF.

I've been happy with these numbers. I continue to find myself feeling a bit "drinky" after 2-3 units, but this is lessening over time.

I saw Claudia Christian's new Ted Talk on TSM and recovery. Pretty cool, and worth sharing.
http://livestream.com/TEDx/events/5288559
(2nd video down, start at 2h:51m)

Here's my chart of units over time:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:03 pm 

Yeah, I don't think it matters as long as you stick with the same measure throughout.

You're firmly in the low-risk zone on a weekly basis, steady as she goes, Wolfie!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:25 am 

looks consistent, Wolfie. keep it up!

months 7-12: avg 13/2 AF/wk
months 13-18: avg 11/3 AF/wk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:31 am 

Looks great, wolfie!

It's nice having you on the Reddit board, too. And keep sharing your graph there. It's a powerful example.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:02 pm 

I like the podcast idea. It would be a great way to promote TSM. I'd consider interviewing family members too, the other side so to speak. I'm assuming half the battle is getting family buy in to try to control drinking with a method that involves drinking. I think hearing other family members talking about what they saw, how TSM worked, how they got past their doubts about it would be a useful resource to be able to offer to help reduce the fears and doubts of family members of new TSM'ers.

It could also be a useful resource for people working TSM because while the nal does the trick, there could still be issues to deal with that would be helpful to hear how other TSM'ers dealt with, how to navigate social situations without drinking if you don't want to, making peace with our past drinking, all sorts of life without AUD topics. Plus tips and tricks and such like you mentioned.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:59 pm 

Week 27: 15
Week 28: 17

My dog of 11 years was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. He had surgery to remove his spleen and has now started chemo. But likely only has a few months left. So sad, but we're gonna spoil the guy rotten with his time left.

So coping with this sadness has been really tough, and the habit of reaching for a drink to drown out the depression is there. Which means a few more nights a week drinking and a few extra drinks at night. Nothing off the charts but I think mourning and alcohol consumption tied together.

I told my wife recently "I kinda actually want to get drunk tonight, but this (pointing to my glass of wine) won't do it." A weird statement, but confirms that a yearning for that buzz is still inside me... but the Nal has definitely reduced my brain's connection from that rush and the act of drinking. A confirmation that TSM is doing it's job but a reminder that my instincts to escape reality with substance are alive and well.

I find that I'm also still drinking faster than friends in social situations. Almost like I hadn't taken a Nal. That hasn't always been the case, but I know urges can go up and down. I'm still capping my units at around 5-6 on "drinky" nights which is good. But I often surprise myself when ordering my 3rd beer when my buddy is just starting his second.

The journey continues...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:46 am 

Glad this forum is back up after being mysteriously down for a few weeks!

Also nice to see a new page on reddit get some traction.
Come join us over at ::: https://www.reddit.com/r/Alcoholism_Medication/

Past few weeks have been great, and drink-wise about the same.

A couple of "drinky" evenings of 4-5 units. But mostly doing well. Dog is still hanging in there. Had a great trip to Iceland for 10 days where I only had about 5 drinks total.

Week 29: 6
Week 30: 9
Week 31: 6
Week 32: 4
Week 33: 10

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:12 am 

"I find that I'm also still drinking faster than friends in social situations. "

Someone on OSL mentioned that they have a session the night before going out, then they don't feel so deprived and are able to get better control during social functions.

All in all though, you're well below US low-risk weekly drinking standards (14 or under)! Keep it going, Wolfie!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next