It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pacificman's Progress
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:34 pm 

Fri 11/5 Went to my local pub again. Kind of had i in mind to hangout a while and possibly go out on the town later. Had 2 drinks and got bored. Just felt like I was wasting my time. Went home for the night. The rum doesnt give me that buzzy excited feeling anymore. Even the coke isn't helping it along.

So, here i sit at 630am on Saturday with the day ahead of me. What a weird feeling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:00 am 

11/6 Saturday night.
Once again thought I might drink for the whole evening. Not because of craving, its just that its Sat. night, and its habit. Had 2 glasses of wine at dinner and got thirsty. Had a Gatorade, and no desire to drink any more. I never imagined it would work this well for me. I feel lucky to be responding so well.
Maybe its all the extra time i have, but I am slightly missing some of the good times that some of the drinking provided. Its just that it has all happened so fast, and it is quite a lifestyle change to not be spending so much time at bars drinking. (i never really drank very much at home.) There are friends I haven't seen since I have been home the past 3 weeks, just because of the decreased drinking. Im not saying it's like when an addict gets out of rehab, they have to cut all ties with all friends who still live that lifestyle. Its just a shift away from Alcohol being the center of and running my life. I wonder how far this is going to go. One more week to go before I fly back to work. In the past, I would have been partying up this last weekend and a lot of this upcoming week. I wouldn't mind having a big night out once this week, but it seems harder and harder to really feel like it. I know that sounds weird, but it's true.
Thanks for everyone's comments on this site, as every thread seems to have something to keep in mind for this journey.
PacMan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:34 am 

Have a good flight back to work and congrats on your terrific progress. It's just so great to read how this darned stuff sneaks up on us eh?

One day you're thinking it's not working, the next night you're leaving the bar just about sober and not wanting any more! Whaaaaaaa????

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:55 pm 

Hey, PacMan!

Congratulations on the quick and amazing progress! I do empathize with you though, on kind of missing those fun times. They always come with consequences, but they ARE fun sometimes.

When I have several AF days in a row, I start to get bored and wonder what to do with myself. That puts my face to face with something I never have been able to resolve ... who am I and what do I really like to do? I think alcohol always allowed me to avoid that question. Now I am so used to being altered, I'm bored when I'm not and I don't know what to do about the boredom. I am a bit introverted and reclusive by nature. Alcohol helps me overcome that to be more social. Now, I am slowly losing my crutch.

I think Eskapa's book is a bit simplistic ... TSM may take away the desire to drink over time, but it doesn't address some of the underlying issues we have been escaping all this time!

Anyway, just wanted to say I know how you feel. :) Have a safe flight back, and keep telling us about your great success!

YG

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:00 am 

yogagirl wrote:
TSM may take away the desire to drink over time, but it doesn't address some of the underlying issues we have been escaping all this time!

Definitely-- it's something that's not discussed enough around here. TSM can only cure the physiological addiction-- the rest is up to you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:30 pm 

PacMan, congrats. It sounds like you are making great progress.

Excellent discussion here. In the past where I have been able to go abstinent for extended periods of time, I have noticed 2 things: lots of extra time and lots of extra money. How do you fill the void?

I think what is key is take the opportunity to make changes in your lifestyle as drinking becomes less of an issue. For example, plan other non-drinking activities to fill the void. Reward yourself by spending some of the money you are saving from not drinking on other forms of socialization or entertainment; things you have always wanted to do perhaps but didn't have the time. Joining some kind of club, athletic or social, etc. may help. Whatever it is, we have an opportunity to replace drinking and recovery time with more healthy types of activities. I think that takes some thought and planning. Good luck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:43 pm 

yes, well said. And don't forget now that we are sober, or getting more sober, more often, it's time to look at whatever other kinds of therapy we may need. I was never able to look at my anxiety and unhappiness with a clear head because alcohol was always on my mind.

So, make an appointment with a shrink, or a psychologist, or get a self help book or talk to someone be it friend, priest, family member about your problems. Things can become clear and the road plain when we're sober, or getting there - nows the time!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:07 pm 

All well said my good friends. I read a lot of these same suggestions in other posts, but when its in my own progress report blog, it really hits the spot. Thanks.

Continuing with my logging, Sunday, 11/7, I went to a friends house with the kids. Had 4 beers and a really smooth glass of 25 year old rum. Just enough to feel the buzz. Drank very slowly, and actually poured out the bottom 3rd of 2 of those beers because it was warm. I am getting used to how much and how fast I drink now. There is less pressure and thought about it. I hate to say it and jump the gun, but I have zero desire to keep drinking into oblivion after consuming those first 4-8 drinks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 pm 

Your updates are especially helpful because I'm looking forward to that point (losing interest at a certain point). I had a wonderful month-long honeymoon but these past week was rough and I find myself slipping back into the 3+ bottle of wine a day habit. The only difference is I'm not doing it every night so that's keeping my units down.
And leaving behind most of a homemade mojito is very impressive indeed! :shock:

Weekly Averages: Month#3: 14(5); Month#4: 35(3); Month#5: 3(6); Month#6: 1(6); Month#7: 1(6); Month#8: 1(6)
Wks 33-40: 0, 0

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:15 am 

11/10 one tablet, one beer. not rally worth it
11/12 Went to a new bar. Drank about 12 rum and diets and threw up again. Probably a good thing. Had a couple more drinks and went home pretty sober 8 hours later. No craving or desire to keep drinking. Kind of felt like I was forcing them down all day. Another good result, but need to have some new hobbies or activities for sure. Basically had nothing else to do all day. Nal has done and keeps doing its part, now I have to add to that.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next