It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: some questions
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:41 am 

Ive been on the sinclair method now for two weeks. I had o fly from london back to South Africa where I'm originally from for a detox. I couldn't get naldrexone immediately in the UK and I was in bad shape. The rehab I went to for detox uses naldrexone in their treatment but they tell you to take it everyday and not drink. They were skeptical when I told them my plan was to drink on naldrexone and explained the sinclair method. My friends and family and a councillor I spoke to the previous 12 step rehab I went to are all skeptical. I don't feel I have much support on this journey. Anyway, so far I am still drinking daily but a lot less and I'm able to stop during the day and not need to continue. This is not like me as before I would only stop if I was going to bed.

I still feel like I get pleasure from drinking which confused me because I thought that was how this method worked, by blocking the pleasurable effects. I fly back to london on monday and back to work after a month unpaid leave. Im very nervous that this won't work and I will need to fly back again for a detox, spending the last of my savings and losing my job. Im not sure what to tell the risk assessment work meeting for me. I want to be honest but I know they won't understand what I'm trying to do and I fear they will consider me too great a risk and get rid of me.

I am taking the medication everyday as told at the rehab, I know I shouldn't but since I'm drinking everyday I guess its ok. One side I've experienced is difficulty sleeping. the Doc gave me some sleeping tabs but I only have one left and I don't need to become dependent on something else. I didn't take a sleeping tab last night and struggled. I did sleep but it was really light and I wake up often and struggle to fall asleep again. Has anyone else experienced this? does it subside?

I have six months supply of naldexone which I will be taking back to the UK. I hope I don't have a problem at boarder control. I have a signed prescription but its a lot of medication. I should be able to get more in the UK before I run out.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: some questions
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:06 am 

Hi rmz and welcome - TSM (the Sinclair method) is that you only take the Naltrexone when you plan on drinking. At least an hour before. There is not a lot of trust in the method yet but I do think it will grow - have you read the book by Dr Eskapa? if not you really need to - and at the back are pages for professionals - which helps to explain it to them. also if your family could read it then they too would glean an understanding of it! Here is the PDF of the book - please read it - it will really help you understand the logistics of TSM!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60fs7gmvbyzs1 ... m.pdf?dl=0

Please keep posting - there is a lot of support and advice here!

hugs, Maggie

Month 12: 4 drinks TOTAL (Dec '15)
13: 2 drinks (nearly) for Jan '16 !!!
None since Jan '16 I feel that I can safely say that I am cured!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:20 am 

Thanks Maggie

I have ordered Dr Eskapa's book on amazon. I explained the science behind it to my Auncle and he seemed to grasp it and supports me. My mom now supports me too but is understandably sceptical. She has agreed to watch "one little pill" with me tonight. I have started only taking the pill an hour before drinking. I still get some sides from the pill. some anxiety and difficulty sleepy. Hopefully these will subside but for now its worth it if it works. Still drinking daily but a lot less. Less than half what I would normally drink.

Mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:29 pm 

Congratulations on getting started on TSM, Mike!

You might want to check UK customs to see how much Naltrexone you can bring into the country, a 3 mo. supply seems to stick in my mind. You can order it online if need be.

There was a TEDx talk by Claudia that you might want to show people too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=-9gMU_Lzsm4

Sounds like the Nal is already having a good effect for you, I hope the side effects tone down soon.

What did the doc give you for sleeping? Some folks are able use an OTC sleep aid and manage ok.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:39 am 

I have been on Nal for a year. One year ago I was drinking about three bottles ow wine per day starting around 3 in the afternoon. Now I drink around three beers per day starting around 9:30 or 10 before I go to bed. I still get pleasure from the drinks but it diminishes and I am ready to stop and go to bed after three beers or so. I rarely drink before my "nightcap"--I have done so at a party or dinner with wine, but only moderately. I have had only a few AF days but I think more are coming and eventually I will just be a social drinker. It took a year but I had been drinking heavily for fifty years so that is not surprising. The craving has been dramatically reduced and I think much of the late night three beers is now habit, not really craving. I had some side effects but found that eating and drinking lots of water helped. As for sleep now that I am not hungover all the time I am really active with lots of exercise so I am physically tired at the end of the day so I now sleep better than I have in years.

Here (US, Vermont) they do use Nal with abstinence regimens but I don't think it is successful too often. I am fortunate to have a physician who agreed to research TSM and had no reservations prescribing it. I have had great success and am almost where I want to be with no fear whatsoever that I will return to my fifty year habit of massive alcohol abuse--and all of this without any spirituality-abstinence-will power-confessional groups etc. Be patient it works well for over 70% of people who follow it. I hate to engage in conspiracy theory but I do not know how to explain why it is not more widely used except for the fact that no one can get rich on it and here in the US the rehab industry is a multi-billion dollar enterprise and reluctant to embrace a drug declared safe by the FDA since 1992. Google "Claudia Christian TEDx talk London" for a good explanation on TSM. Also she is available for help at the ThreeC Foundation--at no charge, and no request for money. She helped me a lot.

All the best to you,

Robert

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:22 pm 

Hi rmz250
Congrats on finding and keeping to the method. The science seems sound to me and there should be no shame in taking a pill to try and cure an illness that will likely kill us. I wish that option were available for other people struggling with illness. I'm only a few days in (2nd attempt) and I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping also. Basically, I was passing out every night, not really sleeping, so it doesn't surprise me that my body/brain are having trouble figuring out how to do it again. It will come (I hope). Let's be patient. Good luck with your journey
gottatry

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:27 am 

welcome and congrats to you for getting started. I have never been a good sleeper, and at first taking the Nal didn't help either. eventually my reduction in AL intake really helped me in my sleep patterns. drinking less will eventually contribute to a good night's sleep. just something to look forward to! god luck!

months 7-12: avg 13/2 AF/wk
months 13-18: avg 11/3 AF/wk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 am 

By drinking the detoxified water some germs that are present in you can be vanished. However there is the need of top it resume writing services that are providing major details.

Profile E-mail