It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: fredrmd's weekly progress log
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:55 pm 

It seems I made a little mistake in my unit count. I was using AlcoDroid, and it seems to count anything as one drink. So I went back and corrected the numbers by dividing the total grams of alcohol with 12.8g/unit (Norwegian unit). The correct number of units is 18 and 14 on day 1 and 2, respectively. No major difference, but I will have to remember this for future reference. :idea:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:57 pm 

Update: December 5-8
Tuesday: 10 units
Wednsday: 14 units
Thursday: 19 units
Friday (today): 4 units
Total number of units: 47

We were practically drinking around the clock, so while this might seem like a re-peak of drinking, it's also very explainable as being a special occasion where one is expected to drink.

Wheh, what a ride! I ended up drinking on Tuesday as well, while meeting my travel buddies. My cravings seem to have decreased even further. On the other hand, alcohol was available practically everywhere at anytime during this trip, so I wasn't really forced to experience them. Upon coming home today, I have had two drinks alone and by myself. There was tax-free on the ship, so my fridge is now full of beer and I also have half a litre of Aqua Vitae. Technically I can drink until 9 pm, but I feel like I can be more than content with sobering up and hydrating on soft drinks now.

Redosing of Nalmefene: As Nalmefene lasts 10-12 hours from ingestion, I opted to take a new pill every 12 hours. Always at 9'o clock. I had told some friends about this so they could discreetly remind me/check on me. This worked well as I made sure to have enough Nal in my wallet, except for today at 9.30 am I had a small sip, realizing I should've taken the pill at 9.00 am. I slept until 9.30, and that might be why I forgot it. I took it immediately thereafter. I didn't notice any particular high from the small sip, luckily. I'm not sure if I should've redosed Nal before or later than 12 hours. It feels as though it was more than adequate, but I could also redose after 10 hours next time to rule out every possibility of endorphines hitting me.

Gambling on Nal: I rarely gamble to begin with, but I can really enjoy the excitement. I didn't notice feeling any different than what I usually do, so I would hypothesize that I only like gambling because it exciting without it being a big endorphine-releasing activity to begin with. One difference might be that, without the alcohol, I was a more sensible player, and kept my spending, gambling strategy and goals within reason. I was lucky to go out of there with more money than I started with! :)

Other activities on Nal: Dancing, singing and playing instruments felt just as fun as before. I have had some concerns that I might weaken those behaviours as they are usually paired with alcohol in my social circles. I plan to prevent this by also doing them as much as I can when I'm not drinking.

Side effects: Insomnia is a bit troulesome, as on a trip like this, the amount of sleep one can get is in serious competition with staying up late and partying. When I went to bed at 3 am I woke up at 7 am and just couldn't fall asleep again. Didn't feel that tired, luckily, but I would really feel fatigued later in the day. So for the two nights on the ship I only got about 8 hours of sleep. Still, it's a fair trade.

Nausea isn't a biggie, but it can really set in, especially with the more bitter tasting drinks such as beer, red wine and various types of hard liquor. When it comes on me, it'll only really go away by having a break from what's causing nausea. This has made me leave drinks on the table, but I'm not sure if that's because of nausea itself causing aversion or if I'm really satiated with drinking. One thing I really noticed on this trip is I am becoming a bit more picky about what to drink. I ordered Strawberry Daquiri instead of beer at some point, as the bright colour from my friends' drinks really tempted me. It was really tasty and a lot more tolerable for me to drink. White wine and sparkling wines were also a lot easier to tolerate. I can still enjoy the usual beer, but in the same amounts as before seems difficult. Still, not a bad trade-off.

Drinking experience: It was still a thrill, but there was more focus on the activities than on the alcohol. I felt like I was able to drink mindfully throughout the escapade, and didn't become recklessily drunk, do anything particularily stupid or blackout. I'm also very relieved by not having to face the judgment or being a laughing stock. This time around, it was someone else who would make tales of their drunk self. Actually, I felt I was almost too sober compared to many of my friends. This is a very luxurious problem, and I believe it will be better by the fact that my tolerance might drop over time, or that I can "pick up the pace" by drinking stuff that doesn't cause nausea. Not that I plan to become particularily intoxicated on many occasions, but having the same level of (reasonable) drunkenness is nice.

Overall, going on a planned four-day bender with friends worked very well. I'm really excited how this went, and my friends have reaffirmed that my drinking was very reasonable. In fact, I was able to look after and take care of my more drunken friends. Being able to give back to people have helped me in my drunken state way too many times feels very right. :) It really feels like I've had enough alcohol for a while now, but I will be back to report as soon as that day comes (probably next friday).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:21 pm 

Sounds like you did really well, Fred! Thanks for that update!

Profile E-mail