It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 3 months into TSM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:46 am 

Hello all,

Week 3 into the Sinclair Method. I am 39 yo man and have had a drinking problem in some compacity since my early 30s. Sometimes it was black out binge drinking in the weekends - sometimes it was daily drinking and just surviving at work with all the hangovers. Alcohol has significantly affected my life and has caused a “stunting” of my personal growth and a block toward close personal relationships - romantic and otherwise.

I have tried AA for many years and in addition to talk therapy, acupuncture, hypnotherapy, exercise, nutrition, supplements, moderation management. The most I had was a year of sobriety at one time but inevitably relapses.

My sister (who also has issues with alcohol) has been doing the Sinclair Method for 9 months and her drinking changed for the better. With nothing to lose I got my Naltrexone script from my MD, though he was quite confused when I explained the method. I am about halfway through the book - the Cure to Alcoholism.

3 weeks in I have noticed some very mild changes in my drinking. I have followed the Golden Rule - taking Nal 1 hour before drinking. I just began a drinking diary about 1 week ago. I am currently a daily drinker for the most part 3-5 beers a night on weekday. Then one binge drinking session (6-10 drinks) on the weekend. Sometimes I will notice that I don’t want to finish a drink or I don’t crave another - but this is rare.

Friday night was my night out (binge session). Things were going well. I was at a nieghborhoof bar, seeing a performance. At about 7 drinks in; I blacked out - somthing which has not happened since I started TSM. I lost about an hour at the end of the night where I vaguely remember getting into a verbal fight with an old fiend, i remember kissing someone in the bar bathroom, I remember stumbling home. I was so hungover yesterday wondering what other nonsense I could have done and I don’t remember. Events like these are what made me realize I have a problem.

I want to continue TSM but I am wondering if I should give myself a drink limit for now (say 4 or 5 drinks tops on any given occasion). I don’t want to hurt myself or other or jeopardize personal relationships or my job while drinking myself sober.

Anyone relate?

Brian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 3 months into TSM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:06 am 

Hello all. The previous post was meant to be titled 3 weeks into TSM. By 3 months I hope to see more improvement!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 3 months into TSM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:25 am 

I answered in your other thread, Brian. Let's continue in that one.

Profile E-mail