It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Exercise while taking Naltrexone?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:27 am 

Hello everyone, if this topic has been exhausted, I do apologize. I am new here and have not yet read thru all the threads.
I do cardio exercising about 3 to 4 times per week. Helps the mood, sleeping etc.
This is my question, I just started naltrexone two days ago. I exercise because it stimulates those feel good endorphins, and I do feel great after the workout. Since Naltrexone is meant to block these feel good receptors, will it affect those you get with exercising? Or does it just block the euphoria from alcohol?
Are we talking about two different ways to 'feel good'? I will continue to exercise regularly but am curious if the medication will block the feel good from it - and I decided to exercise prior to taking the naltrexone.
Please advise.
Thank you, and thank you for this great place to share our information!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Exercise while taking Naltrexone?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:21 am 

Im not too well up on this but I think that Sinclair has said that activities that release endorphins should be saved for non nal days. Personally I dont think nal ever effected my mood with any other activities. Im sure there are lots of threads here covering this though so you should be able to get plenty of info.

Welcome by the way

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:05 pm 

I had also been concerned about this issue when I started TSM. I have always worked out six days a week, love the endorphin high from the cardio (in the past I have been a comptetitive 5K runner.) Fortunately, I typically work close to 24hrs after I have taken Nal and have not really noticed much difference. Having said that, after a 'wash-out' day, I have noticed enjoying cadio more and working harder without a subjective sense of pushing myself. To put it briefly: Nal has not inhibited my desire to work-out/run. The few threads I have found on this subject seem to concur with my experience. I'd like to know what you experience. Good luck.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:57 pm 

Thx for the replies. Mostly on the days where I do work out, I don't feel like Al; I'll let you know on the days where I work out, do Nal, and drink. I'm going to try not taking the Nal unless I intend to drink.. It's almost like planning ahead for safe sex, no?? LOL
but thanks again for your quick replies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:13 pm 

Nothing wrong with planning ahead for safe sex. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:49 pm 

Wait.. Aren't we supposed to take the 50mg Naltrexone dose daily??

Please help me because I'm new to this... what does Jasmine mean that she doesn't take Nal unless she is planning to drink?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:07 pm 

I exercised daily before, during and after TSM. Naltrexone will not have a significant impact on you, other than making you tired on some days. Just keep working out. This has been discussed extensively if you search "exercise" on the board. Alexan, you take the pill one hour before you drink only.

(Nothing in this post should be construed as medical/legal advice. Always consult a physician before taking prescription drugs.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:11 pm 

Minneapolis thank you so much for answering... I thought TSM says to take Naltrexone everyday whether you drink or not??
I'm so confused yesterday was my first dose and I'm feeling nauseous please help me get some insight into this. I had planned to go to the gym today to cheer me up but now I'm on my couch wondering if I should take a 25mg dose or not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:31 am 

Everyone responds different. I would suggest you use this as an opportunity to see if you still enjoy your workouts as much with NAL. I personally didn't WO on my first four months of Nal but I regret that. Now I still use Nal and jump on my treadmill anyway. Jury is still out if it has reduced my enjoyment of the treadmill. I still feel better about myself if I WO than if I don't. Try it and see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:42 pm 

Topic has been exhausted while doing exercise taking naltrexone and I do apologize for this. I have to say that doing cardio exercises of assignment help Australia 3 to 4 times a week which helps me to get good mood and sleep.

Profile E-mail