It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TSM vs. Baclofen pros and cons of each
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:42 am 

I'm in week 5 of TSM and am pleased, however I've read a lot about Baclofen even when used with TSM. It seems to work faster but if I am not mistaken you have to take pills everyday for the rest of your life?

anyway I'd love to hear people's ideas of the pros and cons of each method vs, the other and the pros and cons of TSM+BAC vs. the others.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: TSM vs. Baclofen pros and cons of each
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:34 pm 

joe, this is just my opinion on whom should use Nal and BAC. If you are someone who has been on Nal for a long time (close to a year or more) and you're not noticing any changes but your drinking is still at very dangerous levels some people use BAC to taper off the cravings while still taking NAL for the cure. I guess no one knows how long the cure takes on Nal especially one who has been drinking heavily for a long long time it could be a year or who's to say maybe 2 years for the cure. Then there are those who don't want to drink ever again and taking a few BAC pills everyday as quite worth the effort if they never crave AL again.

hope this helps
corkit

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm 

This topic has been discussed quite a bit on this board. There are many threads. Here's a link to a thread for which I wrote a very long post about the pros and cons of adding baclofen to TSM. http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/commun ... 3b38aa46cb

To my earlier post on this thread, I'd add these observations: First, in the nearly-a-year since I wrote that post, many, many more folks posting on MyWayOut have found success through baclofen. I also believe more is appearing in scientific literature about treating alcoholism with baclofen, although much of it appears to be case studies as opposed to clinical trials (although these are certain to show up in time). Some here have found success by adding baclofen to TSM after experiencing a stall in progress with naltrexone alone. The baclofen/naltrexone combo seems to be a popular method at MyWayOut. Many use it as an alternative to the prospect of long-term or even lifelong baclofen. Topamax seems to be enjoying a revival, and one member here (MissKris) reported a good result with a topamax/naltrexone combo.

As I searched for this link, I noticed that a few members here who were thinking about adding baclofen ended up being patient getting a great result on naltrexone alone. Still, baclofen remains an exciting alternative for those unfortunate few unable to achieve the desired result with TSM. As Craving has said, baclofen saves lives.

The exciting part of all this is that we have choices where before there were none. (I personally don't count AA as a choice). Thank God for the pioneers such as R Jewell (MWO founder), Amiesen, the HAMS people, and of course Sinclair and Eskapa for providing us with these choices. With these choices comes the responsibility to be scrupulously well-informed. As I say in the linked post, combining baclofen and alcohol (or topamax) is a dicey proposition, not to be taken lightly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:33 pm 

Thnks Lena - great post, and as one who is going the newfound path of BAC & NAL...we are all just keeping our fingers crossed and being ever hopeful...

4/10 stopped NAL & started BAC thru River
6/10 up to 120 mgs BAC w/ MAJOR SEs
7/10 titrating off BAC
8/10 starting Topamax w/ Dr.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:02 am 

Joe these pros and cons are less, you have not mentioned the research paper writer correct list. As these have something exclusive features and I am sure you didn’t know about it that’s why you haven’t shared it here. Here is exposure for you, hope you will like it.

Profile E-mail