It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Extinction Burst
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:35 am 

From Wikipedia:
While extinction, when implemented consistently over time, results in the eventual decrease of the undesired behavior, in the short-term the subject might exhibit what is called an extinction burst. An extinction burst will often occur when the extinction procedure has just begun. This usually consists of a sudden and temporary increase in the response's frequency, followed by the eventual decline and extinction of the behavior targeted for elimination. Novel behavior, or emotional responses or aggressive behavior, may also occur.

Just a little refresher course. Extinction Burst is the technical term for what is often referred to here as the "Honeymoon Period". I do not recall having one myself, but it appears to be quite common, and should not be cause for alarm.

Relax. Drink as you normally would. Never drink without NAL.

Post subject: Re: Extinction Burst
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:56 am 

Clarion wrote:
From Wikipedia:
While extinction, when implemented consistently over time, results in the eventual decrease of the undesired behavior, in the short-term the subject might exhibit what is called an extinction burst. An extinction burst will often occur when the extinction procedure has just begun. This usually consists of a sudden and temporary increase in the response's frequency, followed by the eventual decline and extinction of the behavior targeted for elimination. Novel behavior, or emotional responses or aggressive behavior, may also occur.

Just a little refresher course. Extinction Burst is the technical term for what is often referred to here as the "Honeymoon Period". I do not recall having one myself, but it appears to be quite common, and should not be cause for alarm.

Relax. Drink as you normally would. Never drink without NAL.

I thought the 'Honeymoon Period' was the time right at the start of TSM, it's a time when drinking dramatically reduces.

I do however understand Extinction Bursts as times when drinking suddenly increases, and did have several of these during my TSM process.

Cravings eliminated Sept 2011
Now fully in control, alcohol no longer bothers me. Chose to go AF from 22nd July 2013.
TSM set me free

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:35 am 

Oops... Yes, I think you are right UK. The extinction burst comes after the honeymoon period I guess.

Anyway, there is such a thing, which was the point I was (in artfully) trying to make.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:48 pm 

I can only assume this is what I'm going through. The past four weeks have seen counts see sawing between extremes: 9 one week, then 31, then down to 11, then back up to 32. Last night, I had more than I even wanted to, but it was just like I had to get it out of my system, the doing of it. I almost feel like someone with a obsessive tic they have to perform, where they know it doesn't really accomplish anything, but they can't not do it.

Week 1: 40 (0 AF)
2: 51 (1 AF)
4: 39 (1 AF)
6: 24 (3 AF)
8: 9 (5 AF)
10: 11 (4 AF)
12: 24 (3 AF)
14: 19 (4 AF)
15: 26 (3 AF)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:31 am 

Jackson - I would say that looking at your numbers you are still progressing quite well. I do think that "see sawing" is sorta like drinking normally. At least for me. I drink every day - but some more than others - and I certainly drink more on certain weeks. For example last week :evil: Family was in, 4th of July, out on the boat, on the beach and the next thing I know I have sailed way past what I normally would drink in an average week. But, like everything else, the average is made up of extremes! So as long as you are trending down - I would think that the bell is starting to be unrung for you!

Great job

1/118/1
2/81/7
3/55/6
4/37/14
5/44/5
6/24/8
7/40/12
8/19/13af
9/27/13af
10/34/8
Month 11 - did not count
Month 12 counted last week -34/3af

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:55 pm 

agreed. I had my best week ever last week, even with a lot of stressors. you'll seesaw, but look at the big picture. we're all idiots once in a while, Nal or not!

months 7-12: avg 13/2 AF/wk
months 13-18: avg 11/3 AF/wk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:11 pm 

The burst is the collapsing of something due to some factors which can cause danger to the life of anybody. The general discussion of the TSM discussion forum at http://www.toptenwritingservices.com is about the extinction burst which is the huge bursting in the system.

Profile E-mail