It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: 10 Months In--Progress has stalled
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 am 

Bardo wrote:
One thing that seems to plague people is their reason for taking NAL each day. What I mean here is that one must wait for a distinct craving, wait for the hour and then consume their drink. This allows the brain to directly connect the craving to the unrewarded drink. Instead folks often fall into the trap of taking NAL at the same time every day sometimes hours before without actually yet having a craving. For example taking a tablet at work at 4pm because they want a 5pm drink when they get home. This only reinforces the psychological addiction and doesn't give you an opportunity not to drink. You've said nothing about this, but if it applies altering this seems to lead to breakthroughs.

Are you on 50mg? Also, if it's the Nodict brand one should be waiting 90min fyi.

This is spot on. This is what I have been struggling with from the very beginning over two years ago. After drinking heavily for 25 years it's not an easy thing to break. I was a functioning alcoholic. Not once in my drinking career ever did I drink at work but once that 5 o'clock whistle blew I was off to the races. That's some serious psychological conditioning there and I still feel it today. There are all kinds of excuses we 'learn' to drink. Mowing the lawn, working on your car, after a long bike ride, painting the house, and so on. Those are built up learned experiences to drink. Thankfully with TSM I no longer have the one very most worst learned excuse to drink, physical withdrawal. So now the reason to drink is purely a decision making process. In the past I had no choice, it was you either suffer from anxiety, mood swings, shakes, sweats, stomach pains, heart palpitations - or drink. Now I only sufffer from the learned behaviors of do good work = enjoy a drink.

Anyway it seems like it's working for you Bmorri3. The next step is to exercise a bit of mindfulness.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:49 am 

Ocean wrote:
Bardo wrote:
One thing that seems to plague people is their reason for taking NAL each day. What I mean here is that one must wait for a distinct craving, wait for the hour and then consume their drink. This allows the brain to directly connect the craving to the unrewarded drink. Instead folks often fall into the trap of taking NAL at the same time every day sometimes hours before without actually yet having a craving. For example taking a tablet at work at 4pm because they want a 5pm drink when they get home. This only reinforces the psychological addiction and doesn't give you an opportunity not to drink. You've said nothing about this, but if it applies altering this seems to lead to breakthroughs.

Are you on 50mg? Also, if it's the Nodict brand one should be waiting 90min fyi.

This is spot on. This is what I have been struggling with from the very beginning over two years ago. After drinking heavily for 25 years it's not an easy thing to break. I was a functioning alcoholic. Not once in my drinking career ever did I drink at work but once that 5 o'clock whistle blew I was off to the races. That's some serious psychological conditioning there and I still feel it today. There are all kinds of excuses we 'learn' to drink. Mowing the lawn, working on your car, after a long bike ride, painting the house, and so on. Those are built up learned experiences to drink. Thankfully with TSM I no longer have the one very most worst learned excuse to drink, physical withdrawal. So now the reason to drink is purely a decision making process. In the past I had no choice, it was you either suffer from anxiety, mood swings, shakes, sweats, stomach pains, heart palpitations - or drink. Now I only sufffer from the learned behaviors of do good work = enjoy a drink.

Anyway it seems like it's working for you Bmorri3. The next step is to exercise a bit of mindfulness.

In the short two weeks since I posted, a few small changes have made a difference. I began noticing the difference between wanting a beer and craving a beer. And when it was just wanting, I drank a tasty beverage instead. I'm on vacation now and have decided it's okay to have some drinks, though I'm still naturally drinking far less without worry. I feel an AF and consecutive AF days coming soon after I get home and I'm pretty damn excited about that!

I moved the convo to options as elves. I've seen you there, but for anyone else who wants to follow:

http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/ ... ss-stalled

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:50 am 

"options as elves" lmao. Thank God for autocorrect.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:55 am 

There really should be some variation if you're engaging with the procedure and mindfulness. I'm not sure what a Nodict pill's appearance is. Perhaps someone can chime in on that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:11 pm 

Hi Bmorri3 - Read my thread. I was a daily after work only drinker too. Popped my nal at 4:00 for the first six months so I could drink at 5:00 and slowly moved that to 5:00. It took me a full 17 months to cured. I really struggled with the issue of coming home from work to relax to a glass of wine or two or three or six! Once I decided to switch from my preferred drink to something else it was all over...cured. But, of course, I like many before me made the dreaded mistake of not taking nal and drinking so here I am again. I've been back on nal about 7 months and just now noticing the cravings are leaving. Before it took a full year for that to happen. Hang in there.

Cindy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:26 pm 

Thanks. I'll check out your thread. I've moved my posts to http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/ ... ss-stalled.

That site is more active, it seams.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:26 pm 

Hey elves need options too ya know! :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:17 pm 

Hi Bmorri - one thing that I wanted to say is that it took me nearly a year and I went from my 'usual' 3 or 4 drinks every night, to zero. I thought Nal was never going to work for me.... ChrisB also took longer - 2 years for her! But she just kept drinking and taking the nal - and then all of a sudden the switch was flipped. She inspired me to just keep going. For her, she had sort of given up, but kept taking the nal - just because - she had decided that the nal wasn't going to work for her but kept taking it. Hang in there,

hugs, Maggie

Month 12: 4 drinks TOTAL (Dec '15)
13: 2 drinks (nearly) for Jan '16 !!!
None since Jan '16 I feel that I can safely say that I am cured!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:23 pm 

Thanks for the encouragement! I've actually made a good bit of progress since this post (see optionssavelives.com). I had 19 last week, for a 2nd straight week of records. This one will be a 3rd straight. Should be 17 or less. Love it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:26 pm 

Sounding good Bmorri! SO pleased for you! You CAN do this!

Hugs, Maggie

Month 12: 4 drinks TOTAL (Dec '15)
13: 2 drinks (nearly) for Jan '16 !!!
None since Jan '16 I feel that I can safely say that I am cured!

Profile E-mail