It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Still on campral...but thinking
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:22 pm 

Hello from Washington State. I have been educating my doctor a bit at a time. Been on campral for one month and intend to not drink until my birthday in May. First I had to do the research and present campral to the good doc. Now I will have to work on her for the Naltrexone. I would like to try limited drinking again. I am really hoping that it works. It's hard to get Doctors in the USA to consider new methods of treatment. They are very AA driven. Of course not a bad idea, just not my idea.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Still on campral...but thinking
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:31 am 

Why don't you just order some online and do an "experiment" on or near your birthday? Problem solved.
Still, though, most people wouldn't recommend using TSM as a way to stop sobriety and start "moderation." It's too risky for most people. But, it's your choice.

Week Count: 11,4,4,2,7.5,2.5,2,2,0,0,0,0 Cured -- No More Counting

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 am 

Why is it risky going the other way? Is the intention of the method to quite drinking or being able to have a drink sometimes? Where online can I get Naltrexone?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:53 am 

It's "risky" because Naltrexone doesn't work for everybody. I don't know anything about you personally, but if a "recovering alcoholic" who has been "sober" for awhile decides to use Naltrexone to help him or her moderate, and it doesn't work, then they risk the chance of falling right back into the alcohol addiction per the "Alcohol Deprivation Effect" (ADE) that Dr. Sinclair writes about. This effect is basically this -- the longer an alcohol addict (rat or human) goes without alcohol, the more likely it is that they will drink even heavier (at least for awhile) when they begin to drink again, and their addiction will pick up right where they left it (even if they've been in prison for twenty years!). TSM eventually eliminates this effect through a (hypothesized) alteration in the actual neuronal structure of the drinker's brain. That's what I meant by "risk"; it's not a risk in the terms of actual danger. Another thing to consider is the wide variation people have with Naltrexone. Take me, for example. As I mentioned in my post today, I'm a success story, yet drinking with Naltrexone isn't actually that pleasureable for me. I used to LOOOOOOOVE how alcohol made me feel, but it's pretty much either BLAAAAH or YUCK now, which is fine for me. Many others can't tell the difference and continue to drink at high levels. I guess the minority of people find the "sweet spot" that you seem to be seeking -- being able to take a pill that (a) allows you to control your drinking so that you drink in a controlled manner while (b) enjoying all the (very real) pleasures of alcohol and all that goes with it (bars, parties, romantic dinners, etc...). The odds are stacked against you on that one, but it's up to you whether or not you think it's worth the risk.

Buying Naltrexone online --- whether it's ethical or not, India has many brilliant scientists and chemists that are able to produce exact replicas of pretty much any pharmaceutical. If you buy online, I believe most of it originates in India. I can only speak for http://www.alldaychemist.com; a little bird told me they sell Naltrexone (which they call "Naltima"). It's about $1.75 per pill, plus $25 flat shipping fee regardless of quantity, and takes about two weeks to arrive. If you're "caught" with Naltrexone without a prescription, I don't believe it's a crime or anything, as it is not a controlled substance due to its non-addictive qualities and safety record.

Week Count: 11,4,4,2,7.5,2.5,2,2,0,0,0,0 Cured -- No More Counting

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:38 pm 

I see what you mean. Thank you for your reply. I am the type that behavior therapy would work on so I will have to think about it. I agree that over the years drinking has increased and that is why I have stopped. I also agree that I'm not sure if I can lose the fun part, but if I did not get a buzz...hum food for thought. Sober is cool too! Thankfully I love blended virgin drinks just about as much taste wise as booze.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:46 pm 

If you can manage abstenance, then stick with that. TSM may or may not work for you and to break the AF time you have for it to fail could be horrendous for you.

Some people think TSM is an excuse to drink, it's not it's a way for people who can't stop drinking to remove the cravings and drive, which then allows them to cut back, or even cut it out completely.

Cravings eliminated Sept 2011
Now fully in control, alcohol no longer bothers me. Chose to go AF from 22nd July 2013.
TSM set me free

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:40 pm 

Sharing your problem in a forum post is very good because we can find the best answer to the problems we are facing. Reading from rushessay review people can find the ideas to resolve their problems like this.

Profile E-mail