It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TSM doctors in Toronto? Anywhere in central Ontario?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:42 am 

Hi everyone,

I am new and interested in trying TSM. I am not crazy about my family doctor though and would rather not have the burden of educating and convincing her!

Does anyone know a doctor in Toronto or anywhere in central or Southern Ontario that does TSM?

I found a clinic in Windsor that does it but they want $700! They say that it is not covered by OHIP and want me to pay for seven visits (attending the visits is optional, paying for them is not). I am almost certain that family doctors in Ontario can prescribe Nal and charge the visit to OHIP as a general health/check up type visit. And if I have to pay for the visit, I will pay for one, not seven, thank you very much!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: TSM doctors in Toronto? Anywhere in central Ontario?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:25 pm 

Oh, so I guess this is not the purpose of this thread so I will also take the chance to introduce myself! I read through the thread about locating TSM doctors but did not find anything. I think I will just go to my doctor and say I need help abstaining.

I just found out about TSM recently and have ordered the book. I also obviously stumbled on this forum and I have been learning a lot about this whole thing from everyone's experiences, so thanks!

I am young and have only started a problem with drinking in the past few years. It wasn't all that long ago that I could go out and just have a few on the weekends and that was fine (although I did go over the top sometimes but I think that is normal even if it's not healthy). I have tried to taper down my drinking on my own and have often thought, wow, if I could just hit the reset button and go back to where I was a few years ago. I currently drink most days (2-3 socially 2-3 alone) and will have 6-10 (or even more, I can lose count).

What I am wondering is if let's say I am lucky and feel in control after say 4 months, and then bring my drinking down to very low levels, will there ever be a point where I can drink without the nal? I feel like if I could press the reset button and then wait a while I could go back to I was a few years ago, where I could get a buzz going once or twice a week but then stop. I find the idea of taking a drug that affects my neurotransmitters forever very unappealing. And I can live without the buzz for a year or so, but I wouldn't want to give it up forever. I would rather just rewire my brain and then live naturally, being mindful not to fall down that slope again. Has anyone been successful with this? I know that people can learn to become moderate drinkers without TSM, so why not with it with eventually cutting out the nal?

I actually started due to physical problems that I was numbing the pain from. I don't have them anymore so I am very optimistic about my results with the underlying starting problem gone!

I see that most people take more than 4 months to feel in control again. I am wondering what drives them to drink when you get no fun out of it? I think I would lose interest after just a few tries (I imagine I would want to test it a few times because it would be weird to drink and feel nothing).

Anyways, I am looking forward to getting my hands on a script and seeing what this is like!

If anyone can shed some light on my questions above that would be great!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:30 pm 

Oh yes, and my question about drinking without the nal sometime down the road:

I am aware that nal causes an increase in opiate receptors so when you drink without the nal to block your receptors you are even more sensitive to alcohol than pre TSM. I figure though once you go off nal for a few months your brain would normalize? I did a little searching on Google and found that when they give it to rats for about a week it takes a few days to return their brains to normal in that regard. Not very enlightening for a human using it for months though!

But I think you must go back to normal eventually or those who go on nal and then give up before being "cured" would be doomed to be even worse off than pre-TSM forever! And I see no indications of that in my research.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:53 am 

It is my understanding and I think most if not everybody here will agree that for the rest of your life if you want to drink alcohol you need to take naltrexone first. Personally I have no problem with that, it certainly beats out of controll alcoholic drinking hands down. I certainly wouldnt risk going back down that road. You might read Bens recent post here 'a cautionary tale' when he relapsed into active alcolic drinking when he stopped taking nal.

Bens post
I made a mistake I hope no other T.S.M.ers ever make. Here's a link to my new video so you can see for yourself what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj8a-wtv-e0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:41 pm 

The header of the thread is misleading as ii thought we were talking about the resume writing service. I just graduated from college so I need a professional resume.

Profile E-mail