It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I just started naltrexone a few days ago...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 am 

Hi. I'm pretty new to this. I have the Cure for Alcoholism book, but I've mostly just gone off of what people have told me about the Sinclair method. I just started naltrexone on Thursday. It's now Sunday morning. I noticed some irregular feelings when I first started drinking Thursday night. I just got sleepy faster than usual, and my head seemed clearer than normal for the number of drinks I had, which was a few less than usual, but over the weekend, I really went balistic. I took the naltrexone every night as instructed, but it seemed to have some bizzare effects on my behavior. I'd say I had one of the worst binges I've had in the past three months, and now my cousin is very angry at me for something I posted on her facebook wall that I don't even remember posting. Is this normal? The drowsiness, the intensified effects of alcohol of lesser proportions? How long before I see some change? I know it takes a good while for most people to be completely cured, but will I gain more control any time in the near future if I keep it up?

Thanks, Scott.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I just started naltrexone a few days ago...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:15 am 

Hey--

Drowsiness is normal early on. It still happens to me sometimes, months in.

>the intensified effects of alcohol of lesser proportions?

This one's tricky to answer. If Nal reduces your intake in the first few weeks/months of TSM, fewer drinks become "intensified" insofar as you tolerate less, experience a worse hangover over fewer drinks than you did before. Strictly speaking, though, Nal usually has the opposite effect: you feel less drunk, feel less buzz, feel less high.

>Is this normal?

Does Nal make you go crazy and post weird things on facebook? No :) It will react with different people in different ways. Read more of the book and persevere. I haven't heard of people unusually binging in their first few days of TSM, but some people report feeling odd (not to say bad) moods on Nal in their first few days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:46 pm 

I'm so sorry that you got off to a bad start.....

Getting drunk makes us all do stupid things we regret....you know that....

Is it possible you're over thinking the whole process? I realize at the beginning its kinda freaky but just relax into it and drink "As you normally do", and I think you thought the pill would instantly get you under control. So why wouldn't you get smashed....you're protected...anyways,...no it doesn't keep us from doing stupid things or getting drunk (look at some of the heinous things i've done 3 months in on TSM...). Anyways, the hope is that over time you will lose interest in alcohol and as you're not getting drunk anymore, you'll stop doing silly things....Then you'll have a few when you want it losing the obsession of alcohol.

But I've seen some cured folk have even gotten drunk since cured,...but remember that even normal people get drunk EVERY NOW AND THEN. So if its a rare day,...I wouldn't worry about it except to say avoid the obvious driving etc, posting on facebook :lol: (sorry couldn;t resist that one),...I imagine if you get sober, your cousin will forgive you and will be mad at other drunk people that are posting on her page.....

OK take care and welcome,.>Jim

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:38 pm 

I started Tuesday with the naltrexone. This is my third time trying it. At full strength, I was very nauseated and had to quit taking it. This time I am trying smaller doses and it is helping somewhat. Like you, I become tired earlier. I was very tired this weekend--but part of that may have been due to very hectic work lately. I have not had a binge problem like yours, but I would say stick with the program. By all accounts, this medication can take months to really get you to where you want to be. No one told me that until I really started doing my homework. I thought it would start working totally within weeks or something. My doctor just gave me the prescription. I hope you find relief eventually. Best wishes!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:46 pm 

Naltrexone works for the vast majority so stick with it. I think your one night was an aberration -- most people report they feel spacey and nauseous and don't want to drink when they first start the naltrexone, only to have the side effects go away and to have pre-TSM drinking levels resume at some point. TSM is a roller coaster ride but it does work. Welcome to the board.

(Nothing in this post should be construed as medical/legal advice. Always consult a physician before taking prescription drugs.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:22 am 

I think they ought to sell software that lets you attach a USB breathlyzer to your computer before going on facebook. stick with it. I felt drowsy at first too. it went away for the most part. I still get a little slow when I drink but that is probably the natural effect of the alcohol minus the "manic" effect alcohol used to give me. at least that's my theory. a month in and I am loving it! but yea the first few days were weird. I remember asking on this board "does NAL just make you too drowsy to drink?" I was a skeptic, now I believe

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:04 pm 

I just started on Thursday and felt absolutely terrible. I felt terrible Friday as well but had some nice food and two beers. I watched a video today on the cure and felt alot better as I was not not told of the side effects(nausea etc.) so keep your head up! I am sure it will get better! :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:00 am 

This is the main forum where you can download a lot of books that are new to the trend. So here is the ideas online assignment help that will generate more options in giving proofs.

Profile E-mail