It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Member from the South
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:43 am 

Hi Everyone!

I've posted on the "doctors" section, but thought I'd better follow protocol :) and introduce myself here.

I've been around alcohol my entire life--both my parents used to be heavy drinkers, though they've cut that way back. I refused to touch alchohol until I was in college, and then started drinking lambrusco (ugh!) or beer on rare occasions. Once I got into the working world, I would drink a glass or two of wine every now and then at night to relax me. Over the past several years, I really don't know how many, that glass or two has turned into a bottle of chardonnay every night, and I just can't seem to stop. I wake up feeling depressed and anxious, and worry about driving my kids to and from their evening activities. Sometimes after 3 or 4 glasses of wine, I get irritable at my husband, for no apparent reason, then wake up feeling guilty about it. For me, I think my problem is more a physical one than a mental one--my mental issues seem to stem from the after effects of the drinking!

I've looked into AA, but in my area, all the meetings are closed, and doing rehab just isn't in the picture. Not only does the thought just send shivers down my spine (for all the reasons Dr. Eskapa lists in the book), but my husband travels a lot for his job, and I have 2 kids. Plus I work and bring in almost half the family income.

So I finally got up the nerve to speak to my doctor about it (I have never spoken to a soul about my drinking problem) a few months ago. He suggested Chantix, but after reading about the side effects online, I never got the prescription filled. So I got on Amazon and found 3 or 4 books about moderating your drinking (My Way Out being one of them), but the one that sparked my attention was Dr. Eskapa's book. As soon as it came in, I started reading it, and got SO excited. I felt like he was writing it directly to me. I then spoke to my doctor about it and asked him to prescribe the Naltrexone, but he was unwilling to do so until he did more research. I decided I didn't want to wait around for a possible "no", so I ordered the medication through www.alldaychemist.com ($125 for 60 pills, incl. shipping). It can't get here soon enough-- my in-laws are coming next weekend and I'm really worried about my wine consumption and embarrassing myself! But I realize this is a long-term cure that takes a while to take affect, so I'm on my own when it comes to the in-laws. :roll:

So that's my story. I am just so glad to have found "The Book", and this forum. Y'all seem like a warm, wonderful, caring group, and I think it'll be an interesting ride, especially to take it together.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Member from the South
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19 am 

Good morning, I am out the door, but wish to say hello. I am glad you found this forum, it is going to be an interesting part of our lives. See you around the readings!

TSM since Feb 09
60-70 Units
AF Oct 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
week 33- 5 units!
week 34 -20 units
Nov 2 AF
week 44 (?) 60-70
One year later Not Cured. But able to limit my units somewhat better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:11 am 

ausue82 wrote:
It can't get here soon enough-- my in-laws are coming next weekend and I'm really worried about my wine consumption and embarrassing myself! But I realize this is a long-term cure that takes a while to take affect, so I'm on my own when it comes to the in-laws. :roll:

So that's my story. I am just so glad to have found "The Book", and this forum. Y'all seem like a warm, wonderful, caring group, and I think it'll be an interesting ride, especially to take it together.

With a bit of luck, if the timing is right when your in-laws arrive you should still be in the 'honeymoon' stage , where you drink a glass or two, and just can't manage anymore :)

This doesn't last forever of course, but it could well last long enough until they leave.

Fingers are crossed for you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:03 pm 

All the best. You have a good chance - 80 % - of breaking the craving and heavy drinking cycle. Stil to the program, keep your drinking diary and remember only take naltrexone on days when you drink, never on non-drinking days.

Dr Roy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:18 pm 

Hi ausu. Welcome to the board, and thank you for the pharmacy link. I paid $290 for 90 pills, so your place is a great savings. Looking forward to sharing the journey with you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:08 pm 

OK, to narrow it down, I grew up in Alabama, and have lived in Georgia for almost 25 years.. Like I said I've never discussed my problem with anyone (except my doctor just recently) so I'm irrationally afraid of being "found out".

I came across alldaychemist.com through sites for Low Dose Naltrexone---which are primarily for those with MS and other diseases where Nal is still experimental. The reviews of the pharmacy have been good, the prices hard to beat. I placed my order Sunday (3/15), and it shipped 3/17 from India. I'll definitely keep the board posted on delivery etc. I'm very nervous about drugs from overseas, but don't see that I have much choice. I'm sure my husband (if he manages to find out) will freak, especially if he's the one home when the package arrives! I'll cross that bridge when I get there...

All the best to everyone---I can't wait to get started to see how this goes. I'm ready!

Nal + drinking = cure
Nal + no drinking - no cure

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:54 pm 

Well, got my package today from alldaychemist.com. I ordered it on 3/15, it arrived here in metro Atlanta on 3/25--not bad!

Today's the first day of the rest of my life! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:04 pm 

Great news Ausue!

Remember not to get too excited and do what a few other members have done, *ahem Ms. Waiting* Just take 25mg for the first few days!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:31 am 

Howdy Neighbor!!! :lol:

I just wanted to say hello from South Carolina. Good luck to you as Im early into this myself...only about 3 weeks....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:52 pm 

ausue82 wrote:
Well, got my package today from alldaychemist.com. I ordered it on 3/15, it arrived here in metro Atlanta on 3/25--not bad!

Today's the first day of the rest of my life! :D

Congratulations!!!

Glad to meet you. I have been out-of-packet for some time but hopefully will get to know the new members. I live in North Georgia and spend considerable time in Alabama and all other points south. Maybe in six months or so, we can have a reunion. I'll use my skymiles to fly Marbella across the pond. We would be like the first landers on Mars getting together.

It may sound a little precousious now, but much of the fun of the Sincalir Method is this sense of being a pioneer. For me, it is just another rung in the ladder. I am also addicted to growth.

50 mg /since Jan 13, 2009 << you do the math
Average AF days 6/wk
Average Drinking < 4 drinks/wk

I now count days on Nal, rather than drinking days.

Drinking to my Health

Profile E-mail