It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Day 2 of Sinclair Method - Rough Start
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:23 pm 

I began the Sinclair Method yesterday. I took my first pill yesterday waited an hour. Then I began to drink. The experience of alcohol I could tell was different. I felt quite good without what I suppose is the endorphin rush. However I still drank way too much and passed out. I felt super hungover and anxious today. Did I do something wrong? I did not read the book yet. Please help.

Brian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Day 2 of Sinclair Method - Rough Start
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 am 

Hi Brian!

Did you blackout (awake, still drinking but don't remember it) or pass out?

Are you taking any other meds?

What were you drinking?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:46 am 

Hello. I passed out. I take a daily antidepressant (Effexor) and a daily low dose benzo (Klonopin) for over 15 years. I know one should not mix alcohol with either of these meds, especially the benzo but I have for many years.

Are either of these meds contraindications to taking Naltrexone or attempting the Sinclair Method?

I guess what I was most confused about was that I thought my first experience taking Naltrexone and drinking that my desire for another and another drink would subside. It seem I drank more or less like I usually do. I felt less “drunk” but my hangover was not any less.

I understand it can take 4-6 months to reword the brain.

Any thoughts? Advice?

Brian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:18 am 

Oh and to follow up I had 5 beers and 3 glasses of wine. That is enough to get me drunk anyways and about how much I would normally drink. I just thought the Naltrexone would slow down my drinking and I would consume less as the effect would be different without those endorphins. I watched you tube clips of people saying even on their first time taking Naltrexone and drinking they found they didn’t even want to finish their second drink; just sipped at its. I more or less drank as I normally do with an altered version of the effects of alcohol - it was pleasant but felt different than usual. Unfortunately the different experience did not result in less net drinking in my first experience.

Thoughts?

Brian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:03 pm 

Both the SSRI and the Benzo are wildcards with TSM, but if you think that either has influenced your drinking, please talk it over with your doctor and get their guidance on what to do.

Certainly, many have found that benzos lead to blackout drinking, TSM or no TSM. Some have found that SSRIs make them crave alcohol, while others find the opposite (and some notice no difference in their drinking at all), so it's an individual thing, true if it's true for you.

That said, some will start TSM and not notice a difference in their drinking for 2-3 months.

Profile E-mail