It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New - lots of questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:24 pm 

1. Was surprised how easy to get naltrexone. Online dr visit and picked up at local target pharmacy for under $2. I have good insurance through my employer. I’ve heard of some paying cash and other anonymity tactics. Any reason?

2. I’m primarily a Beer drinker (IPAs) and doing 5+ a night. Sometimes leads to a brown liquor “nightcap” but definitely not on right path and it’s getting worse.... hence exploring TSM. Did the first 25mg last night one hour before and had 1 beer. Very naouseous and not sure if it was the nausea or the nal working but I was definitely not interested in beer 2. It was as if beer 1 did not work it’s typical magic. Will eat more next time but speaking of next time should I do naltrexone treatment nightly every night? That’s my typical schedule of come home from work, wife/kids/dishes, then drink 1st beer @ 8pm. Should I stick with my schedule or take a night off?

3. Is there anyone who does nal and sees a behavioral therapist? I want to do this to reinforce the good habits / good endorphins and general help but no local therapist to talk to. The one I want to use is 110% abstinence is the only way - including not keeping any vino/beer in the house which is kind of unrealistic given we have friends over for a happy hour, wife has the occasional wine, etc.

4. Wife was NOT happy about naltrexone - had typical reaction that many do to not understanding how “drinking to extenction” makes any sense. Any help here?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New - lots of questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:08 pm 

Hi, panthersfan! Welcome to the community!

I'll take 'em by the numbers:

1. Some don't like to have Alcohol Use Disorder or Naltrexone on their medical record.

2. The nausea is fairly common, some use an OTC motion sickness med to counter it, but it often passes or lessens within a few doses of Naltrexone. As far as frequency goes, stick to your normal schedule. TSM only requires one drink after the Naltrexone and the hour wait, so if you're on the fence about the next drink, switch to a NA drink for the rest of the night. Take AF nights when you just don't crave a drink in the first place.

3. Most don't see a therapist, but it certainly can't hurt (unless your therapist is an abstain-ista). Do keep a drinks log so you can show it to them after the fact. Possibly you can find an online therapist to work with?

4. Show the wife Claudia's TEDx talk and One Little Pill. You can watch it for free if you have Amazon Prime, it's also free on Tubi TV:

https://tubitv.com/movies/326586/one_little_pill

"Katie" on youtube also has some videos that might be helpful. Just use youtube's search box and look for 'Katie Sinclair Method'.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:03 pm 

Thanks Joe6pack.

Tried round 2. Wife surprised me by finding babysitter for dinner tonight so I took maybe 20mg - was scared the nausea might not be good for dinner out.... restaurant had a fantastic local IPA and I ordered it. I typically drink at least 2 of these at a dinner out and maybe a cocktail beforehand but I was surprisingly not that interested in the beer. Was crazy feeling as I was honestly not interested in it. I could sense a slight sense of motor skill deprevation like I was drinking a beer and the alcohol was kicking in a bit but the endorphins were definitely not there. Really weird sensation.

I think this drug could be really bad news for people that get drunk and don’t really realize because they are not buzzing but their motor skills are shot. Fortunately I just had one.

Thinking this stuff is too good to be true. I’m sure honeymoon period will end soon. Also found a behavioral therapist that does not like TSM but does like (and agrees) on replacing the endorphin buzz from alcohol with something else more positive like exercise. Chatting formally on Monday so we will see how that kicks off but I do want pro face-to-face help with dealing with this disease. Still skeptical of little pill....

Thinking I might try some different excercise this weekend like going to a rock climbing gym for an Alcohol-free Sunday.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:48 pm 

Yeah, that's kind of how it often starts out. Just not interested in the drink. That grows in waves till that's how you feel most of the time.

The initial drop in drinking gives way to a rebound, which is perfectly normal and expected. That rebound rolls off to a new lower level, then rebounds a bit, rolls off, etc. It's just the way TSM goes. If you search on "rollercoaster" you'll see the old timers here talking about how "TSM is a rollercoaster".

This page has a 4 month graph that will give you a pictorial, but most people take 6-12 months to reach "Pharmacological Extinction" from what I've seen:

https://www.buffalorising.com/2017/08/d ... elf-sober/

Hope the weekend is fun, let us know how it goes!

Profile E-mail