It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New and confused
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:10 pm 

I am new to TSM and have been on Nal 50mg for almost three weeks. The first week I found I was drinking less but I did not have any days that I didn't drink. For the last week, I am feeling very depressed because my drinking has increased. I drink slower but still have about 4 or 5 glasses of wine a night. Tonight I upped my dose to 75mgs and I am now on my forth glass of wine.

Is this typical? I've been drinking most of my adult life (I'm 62) and I have family history of alcoholism. My goal is to have one day, then two days, then three days without drinking. I would like to drink only on weekends and/or special occasions.

I have a lot of hope that this method will work for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New and confused
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:26 pm 

Hi Dykat! Welcome to the forum!

It's pretty normal to have an initial drop, then a rebound. That repeats over and over though TSM, but it's generally most pronounced at the beginning. It's known as the "Honeymoon". See this page under the heading "What Should You Expect to Happen?"

https://www.the-sinclair-method.com/the ... -drinking/

So at least 3-4 months is fairly accurate, but I find that most people take 6-12 months.

Are you logging your drinks? If you need a good log/graph package, this spreadsheet works well:

http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/ ... graph-tool

You'll probably find that TSM is very up and down especially on a daily or weekly basis, but you'll see an improvement month over month. If you feel on the fence about the next drink, err to the dry side and leave that drink in the bottle. Your brain is telling you it's had enough for the night and really isn't that interested in another drink, that's an important message to act upon. Carpe "Meh", as it were.

Profile E-mail