It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3 good days...then boom, i am annoyed
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:41 pm 

Thanks. Anything on naltrexone induced panic attacks or shakes? I took 50mg at a coffee shop about an hour ago and tried to walk home from where I was. I literally felt like I was on a roller coaster and like I was drunk. I came home and rushed to pour myself a drink. I'm still very shaky. I haven't been like that when I wasn't taking naltrexone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:11 pm 

Some have reported anxiety, though some have reported feeling much calmer on Naltrexone.

It may be that quick a drop in your drinking is a bit much for someone your size and you're getting some withdrawal. Are you working with a doctor?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:07 pm 

Yes, it could be withdrawal, as I cut down quite a bit over one week, while titrating up. It is the weekend, so I am a bit out of luck with MD answers. I am still feeling like I got off a crazy roller coaster ride. Forcing myself to eat more and finish off a second glass of wine so I don't feel worse from withdrawal. Luckily, I've got someone around to watch me tonight. Scary!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:57 pm 

I got a side effect that felt like I was on the deck of a ship, that kind of persisted off and on throughout. Don't really know if it was the Naltrexone per se. It was going so well otherwise that I just stuck with it. Hopefully, you were just cutting back too hard. Keep us up on how you're doing, I hope you're feeling better tomorrow!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:43 pm 

Hi again! I'm fine with 50mg but still disappointed with the 3-4 glasses a day thing. Granted, I am in a very stressful situation right now, with someone who is a bit rigid (and with very different political-social views) crashing with me a in a small studio apartment for a few months. Unfortunately, I can't say no. What I did notice is less urgency to start earlier in the day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:37 pm 

That will continue on for some time and very possibly climb. The initial drop is due to the First Drink Effect, so expect something of a rebound, then levels will drop more slowly from there. We're talking about changing actual gray matter here, neurons and synapses that got built up over years, but it will only take months to normalize. Patience and staying compliant are key here.

Search for "First-Drink Effect" (with the hyphen) here:

https://www.the-sinclair-method.com/the ... -drinking/

You can also search on this board or on http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/ for "Honeymoon" for some more material on people's experiences.

Most people take 6-12 months to reach their goals with TSM, it was about 6 months for me.

3-4 month cures do happen, there's a graph of a 4 month cure with pre-TSM levels on this page:

http://www.cthreefoundation.org/options ... self-sober

It will at least give you an idea of the up and down nature of TSM. As I mentioned before, the upswings are a good time to qualify your yen for the next drink. As TSM is going to be working in the background, you may unexpectedly notice that you have an easier time letting go of some of the drinks later in the evening. This is also a good time to ensure you keep a NA drink close to you and the alcoholic drink far away, even in the next room. So don't forget to push back and see if you can gain some ground like that. It may not happen right away, but it will happen.

Sorry about the unexpected house guest, but you can kind of see that TSM is beginning to remove the "have a drink" remedy to that situation from your brain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 pm 

So, of course, I'm still taking 50mg daily. I vowed to give it a try for at least three months. I do notice less urgency to have the first drink. This reminds me of a few years ago. I did drink quite a bit, but I wasn't counting down the minutes until I got home. I still do think about it, but it is less urgent. It isn't the first thing I do when I get home. And, I'm usually going home for other reasons (e.g., tired, hungry, want alone time). And yes, it is a very trying time, but I am managing...

I'm also paying attention to how my mind and body felt before squashing my basic human needs with a drink. Somewhere along the line, I felt that my needs were never going to be met. I ask for something pretty basic, and it is frowned upon. I ask for something to make me feel good, and I trashed. So, I try to emotionally numb out while living against my values.

I've got to say that medication alone did not get me to a better place. I've had some good therapy recently. I am saying no left and right, to things that don't add value to my life and dropping / distancing people who are burdening me. The medication, I hope, will change my reliance on the alcohol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:22 pm 

Thanks for the update, Star!

Sounds like it's having a positive effect and the therapy is hitting it from another angle, way to deliver the one-two punch!

NB, part of what TSM does in the addicted part of the brain (the Striatum) is in a section that doesn't have any "feelings" and which isn't capable of conscious thought. It does however know how to compel you to drink. So in that context, Naltrexone will be working in the background to shrink the neurons to the point that they can't fire as easily. That may show up as a disinterest in starting drinking or in drinking as much.

In any case, it sounds like you're gaining some ground under less than optimal circumstances, so keep it up!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:30 pm 

Hi Joe (and others),

I can honestly say that I'm in a place where I am ready to work on physical craving vs. bad habit. Why the hell am I drinking so much?

It has been ~5 weeks on Naltrexone. I'm still at 3-4 glasses of wine per night, but I'm hoping to get down to 1-2 by early fall. That was supposed to happen by my birthday (pre Naltrexone), so perhaps it can happen by my half birthday. But, I've been able to wait a bit before drinking when I get home, so that is super good progress. :-)

Thinking about the why... It's always been something on the outside that has pulled me away from self care. It's the 70-80 hour work weeks that I am mentally protesting. It's the demanding person in my life who threatens to walk away if I don't comply. I've had to numb myself out to comply, because if I don't comply, I will lose. I know that from experience. But, I'm starting to wonder what will happen I just say no thank you.

-Star

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:31 am 

That's tough situation and you're doing well, Star. All I can say is that when you get to the point of indifference towards alcohol, this kind of situation won't make you think of drinking.

How are you doing on the physical aspects of the habit. Are you able to keep your drink out of reach, so it's not as easy to satisfy the urge for another sip?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next