It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Should I Drink Every Day On Nalmefene Or Continue As Normal?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:12 am 

I have a problem with drink (I guess I wouldn't be here otherwise) but I don't drink every day. My problem comes from the fact I get bombed on a Sunday, tend to abstain on a Monday (usually), Tuesday (usually but less than a Monday), Wednesday I get bombed again), Thursday I tend to abstain (usually), Friday I get bombed again quite often, Saturday if I haven't gotten bombed on the Friday I do so on the Saturday

My question is this; I would assume that with TSM it makes sense for me to, as I'm only at the start of the process, take it every day and drink on it every day so the treatment gets a proper run at working. For example, if you took antibiotics for a bad tooth you wouldn't think "oh, I'll take them Sunday, not Monday, not Tuesday, take it Wednesday etc. My wife, on the other hand, says that what I am saying makes no sense and that I should be continuing with my normal drinking pattern in terms of days and having my usual "break" days as well.

To me it is logical that you keep up your medical programme because that is what you do with other medicines. To my wife it is deepening my habit if I start using it every day. As neither of us know anybody who has been through TSM we don't have anybody to ask so I was hoping somebody could throw light on it here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Should I Drink Every Day On Nalmefene Or Continue As Normal?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:09 pm 

Hi, FCIM!

Binge drinkers often tend to deny their cravings, so keep an eye on that and if you crave, Nal up and have a drink. I'd also suggest really watching yourself to see if you tend to lose control after "X" number of drinks. If so, try to stay behind that line.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:31 am 

Thanks Joe. I agree because I think binge drinkers, of which I am one, are so used to fighting cravings on days we deem "non-drinking days" that it becomes second nature. I am impressed with the results so far in terms of taking nalmefene so hopefully it is going to help.

How long does nalmefene last though? I went to the pub yesterday afternoon, had two pints, left, no difficulties in leaving which I have noticed with nalmefene is much easier. I took the nalmefene around 1:30pm ready to go to the pub around 3:30pm, left at 5:30pm. No cravings but then at around 8:30pm I felt like a drink. I decided I didn't really need it so didn't bother but was that right with this medicine? I was also wary that the nalmefene might have worn off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:48 am 

You should be fine till 12 hours after taking the pill, FCIM.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:13 am 

JoeSixPack wrote:
You should be fine till 12 hours after taking the pill, FCIM.

Thanks

Profile E-mail