It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Just took first dose!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:21 pm 

Hi.

I just took my first naltrexone. I was advised to split the 50mg tablet in half first. I split it in half with a pill cutter and just took it with food and within 10 minutes I feel dizzy and my hands and feet are shaking. I had to leave work.

Has anyone else had this happen? I am so looking forward to finally starting this and am praying this shakiness goes away.

Thanks so much.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Just took first dose!
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 pm 

That's a bit odd, Ghap! Did you have any prescription painkillers in your system, even codeine? Do you tend to react strongly to medication?

You may want to cut back to 12.5mg (1/4 pill) and start more slowly when you're going to have a day or two off the night after you take the medication. Where did you get the pills?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:34 pm 

Thanks so much for your helpful reply!

Not on any other meds and I don’t have a history of strong reactions to taking medications.

The tremors were scary. It lasted around 15 minutes and then subsided. I did a TSM online telemedicine appointment last week and was prescribed the meds by a very nice and knowledgeable Nurse Practitioner and then picked them up from my local Walgreens pharmacy.

She advised me to take a tablet daily around 12pm. I’m going to try the half tab of the 25mg tomorrow as I get off of work at 12pm and will be home. I emailed with the Nurse and she said it’s a side effect and will go away. The second worry is then when I stop taking it daily and only taking it one hour before a drink would this side effect pop up again given it wouldn’t necessarily already be built up in my system?

I’m praying and have faith today was a one off and I’ll be fine on the meds. I’ve been so excited to get this started as I am confident in the science that this will work!

Thank you so much!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:45 pm 

You're quite welcome!

I don't think that would be a problem unless you hadn't taken the pill for weeks or even months, Ghap. At least, that's what people who have been on TSM for months seem to report.

You might also want to take it on top of a meal, with a full glass of water and follow up with plenty of water throughout the evening. Most people seem to get past the side effects in between a few days and 2 weeks, from the self-reports that I've seen.

BTW, things can get a bit slow around here, you might want to check out http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/ too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:47 pm 

Awesome! Thanks so much for all your help!

I’m going to go join the OSL forum now!

Profile E-mail