It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New and feeling desperate ☹️
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:15 pm 

Hello, I am new & feeling desperate.

I have been using TSM for a week now. I take 50mg 1 hr before drinking. Pour a glass of wine and immediately feel the same warmth and feel goods that make me want to pour another... and another... and by the end of the evening the bottle of wine is gone and I'm debating opening another. This has happened to me every time I take Naltrexone (and obviously when I don't). The medicine has had zero effect on the endorphines I receive from drinking. Has anyone else experienced this? By all accounts people say it curbs their drinking, but I honestly feel no difference. Except for maybe a little nausea. Today I'm suffering a bad hangover today after taking Naltrexone (waiting 1 hr) and drinking too much last night. Again. Any suggestions? I was really hoping that this would help me. Other attemps to stop or curb drinking have failed. Also, could it have something to do w/the fact that I take Zoloft (SSRI)? It's the only thing I can think of that might be blocking the Naltrexone from working properly. Anyhow, thank you for your forum and for listening and hopefully responding.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New and feeling desperate ☹️
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:54 pm 

it may have something to do with the Zoloft. I certainly don't want to tell you to stop taking your antidepressants, as I know nothing about your history, but that's my first guess.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Post subject: Re: New and feeling desperate ☹️
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:28 pm 

Hi Bohdi!

Not everyone gets an immediate reduction in their drinking when they start TSM and I didn't notice any difference in how alcohol tasted and felt when I started drinking on Naltrexone, but month by month my drinking levels went down.

Are you working with a TSM doctor?

Scorpio brings up a good point. TSM aside, there have been more than a few anecdotal reports of people having increased alcohol cravings on SSRIs. It just seems to be peculiar to the individual, as the very same SSRI will cause the next person to drink less or even quit, and yet another will say that it didn't affect their drinking either way. So, perhaps think back to what your drinking was like before you started Zoloft (or increased the dosage). If you think that it may be causing you to drink more, talk to your doctor ASAP, but please don't change the dose yourself. Mirtazapine is one antidepressant that has a reputation for decreasing the urge to drink, but some have said it makes them drink more too. It just depends on your unique chemistry.

https://rxisk.org/driven-to-drink-antid ... r-alcohol/

Like I said, it's not a sure thing. It's true if it turns out to be true for you, but only you and your doctor can determine this.

Profile E-mail