It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Relapsing...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:34 pm 

I've been on Nal a couple of years. Started with 50 mg drinking up to 2 six packs daily. After the honeymoon, I had a few setbacks but settled comfortably on goal of 2-4 units daily. After a year, I found Nal less effective and upped the dosage to 75 mg. Lately I've found I drink thru the Nal "meh" effect (I admit I've occasionally not taken it/take it just before drinking.

My drinking has gone up the past few months, and I'm very concerned. My spouse demands I completely quit, but I know from the TSM book that will make matters worse.

Using Nal correctly (1 hour before) seems the best course of action, but backsliding may end our relationship. I'd rather abstain completely for her sake, but personally prefer moderate consumption.

So... Does Nal stop being effective for some people? What percentage? Can anyone give my partner and me advice?

Thanks!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Relapsing...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:07 pm 

It will become ineffective if you stop taking it, for sure. Make sure you take it an hour before, every time.

Are you taking any other meds besides Nal?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:52 am 

I'm taking no other meds.

I haven't stopped taking nal, but have gotten lazy about taking it 1 hr before (after reading it's still partially effective).

My concern is that it's not as easy to moderate drinking... After a couple drinks I can drink thru it and then find myself continuing, which I didn't do in the past. Part of this concern evolves from reading nal users drop to 60% effective after a handful of years.

Is this because nal loses effectiveness for some? Or people stop taking it to regain that beloved alcohol buzz?

Me? I haven't drank or used nal since my 1st post, don't much miss it either. SO some extinction isn't going on! In the past I would have had cravings! Tonight I'll see an old college buddy & try taking nal an hour before & holding it down to 2 beers.

Comments are welcomed & appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:06 pm 

In every case that I've read, people thought they might be ok to drink without the Nal and they simply re-addicted themselves. In as much as part of the addiction happens in a section of the brain that has no feelings, I can see where they really wouldn't be aware of that. This is also why it's important to take the Nal an hour before, so you get a full blockade of the opioid receptors. When you're "cured" with TSM, it just means that craving doesn't run you around anymore. Otherwise, we're still wired differently from normal drinkers and can easily become addicted again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:57 pm 

I remember from watching Claudia Christian's documentary "One little pill" that there was a woman who had a similar problem. She was very excited that she was reducing the amount of alcohol on Nal, but suddenly she started to drink more. She then upped the dosage from 50 to 75 mg and it had gone away and she was drinking less again.

I am a no doctor though so you should always consult your physician. However my advice would be to try and up the dosage and maybe see what it does. It's never a problem to get back to the default if it causes some side effects for you.

When I was tinkering with my dosages I once tried 75mg but it made me more nauseous in the mornings after drinking on it but generally I drank less. However I got back to 50mg because it works for me. But I still have a long road ahead of me so much can change.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:03 pm 

I've now religiously taking 75mg an hour b4 drinking. Not getting super sloppy, but enuff awareness to not drive. 3 strong IPA beers suffice, no desire to go further. Still more than I'd like, but "happy" without stumbling.

What would 100 mg do to consumption?

Thankx to this website and forum!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:12 pm 

Hard to tell, Sufi. It may work better or it may just be a waste of Nal, it depends on the individual. My own TSM doc said that some get along fine with 25mg, some need 100mg. Give it a spin and see, but otoh if you feel the "Meh" moment, switch to a NA drink right then.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:51 am 

It is one of the best website to get your assignments done from as you can see from the 7dollaressay.com review. I have seen this website a lot of time as I am a struggling college student.

Profile E-mail