It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TSM and Benzos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:26 am 

I am in my second week of with TSM and I also take .5mgs of Xanax several times a week for anxiety, which often times is brought on by the previous days binge. I am wondering if anyone else has or is using benzos while on TSM and what your experience might be like? Also is there any concern that taking Xanax could hinder my progress on TSM.

Thanks in advance,
Diver

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: TSM and Benzos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:28 am 

I take Klonopin fairly regularly. I've been doing TSM this is my 5th week under tremendously stressful conditions. I've noticed that I do believe that the benzo the next day does take away the anxiety assocation with over drinking. But it seems to be working for me anyway. I know some have weaned down from their previous level of benzo to get total control. I am now just working on the drinking and trying not to take a benzo on a day I am drinking. I've noticed a lot more control while drinking and I do believe it is working. Once my drinking goes to an acceptable level to me which means no hangovers no blackouts no falldowns which I am half way there then I will wean myself off the benzo. I think my blackouts and falling down had a lot to do with the combo of booze + klonopin.

Shiwa

Week 4: 29 (2AF)
Week 5: 20 (3AF)
Week 6: 26 (4AF)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:28 am 

Since benzos and alcohol are already a potentially dangerous combination, I would strongly advise not drinking on nal AND taking a benzo. However, I don't think there's much of a risk taking a benzo after the nal has worn off. My doctor has always told me that there is no "merit" in trying to get through a panic attack without xanax, and that in fact that can weaken your mental "immune system" so to speak, and therefore make you prone to more anxiety attacks in the future. You want to spare your brain and nervous system going through the ringer if possible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm 

Shiwa and Electra,
Thanks for the info, I do not mix the Xanax and nal/alc. I am OK there, I just want to make sure that I am not sabatoging the rewiring that is part of the Sinclair Method.
Thanks again,
Diver

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:12 pm 

Ah, I get it. Well, I'm not the TSM expert, but it's not SUPPOSED to be aversion therapy, so I don't see anything wrong with lessening post-drinking anxiety. You're still going to feel like crap, just less anxious crap :) I think the rewiring that happens has to do with drinking triggers, not so much what happens in your hangover.
EL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:02 pm 

Hi,

I'm new here. I was reading some threads in the Ask the Dr. forum. One of them was on this topic. It said benzo's may impair the re-wiring.

My question is; have any of you been on low dose benzo's and had any success with TSM at the same time? I'm on .50 of lorazapam and weening down.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:17 pm 

I copied this from an ealier post of mine. I hope this helps.

Many of us on this board suffer from post-drinking anxiety. I know that I certainly do, although thanks to TSM it is much less now than it used to be. I do not take Xanax every day, however I do take it when I get an anxiety attack – usually the morning after a heavy drinking session. I have not noticed that it interferes with the effect of Nal, but again I only take .5mg once or twice a week. This information is only anecdotal, and is not backed by science. If you search this site for Xanax and/or benzo you’ll find several other threads that discuss this. Bob3d’s progress thread may be helpful, especially since he is on the cured list!
As far as your dosing goes, it seems that we are all different so you may need to experiment a bit. Since starting TSM, I very rarely drink all day, however when I was on a three week vacation I did. I usually took 50mg of Nal an hour before I started drinking (10 or 11 in the morning) and then another 50mg in the evening since I was typically staying up past midnight.

Hope this helps. TSM works for over 80% of the people who follow the golden rule. Keep the faith and stay the course, you will continue to see gradual improvements over time. However it does take time, and in some of our cases a lot of time.

Week 17-21 W17 62u 0AF, W18 49 2AF, W19 45u 3AF, W20 42 3AF, W21 19u 4AF
Week 22-25 W22 58u 0AF, W23 49 2AF, W24 45u 3AF, W25 46u 2AF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:17 am 

I appreciate the replays very much. I am specifically asking about bentos while taking naltrexone. Im reading that some people are able to not takie bentos while taking naltrexone. That may not be an option for me, waiting to see if that's possible.

Is anyone having success with tsm, real retiring results while taking a lower dose of benzos and naltrexone at the same time?

Thanks so much!

Ld.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:17 pm 

I don't have any experience with Benzos plus nal combo but I can say the following;

TSM has required some mental effort, and I'd hazard a guess that anything which interferes with this could lessen TSM results.

Anxiety following drinking whilst using TSM has been massively reduced, if not non-existent. I'd hazard a guess you could feel less need to take your Benzo whilst following TSM.

Sorry can't offer any more help.

Cravings eliminated Sept 2011
Now fully in control, alcohol no longer bothers me. Chose to go AF from 22nd July 2013.
TSM set me free

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:55 pm 

Thanks toall that have repied.

I've been off lorazapam for a little over 48 hours. All the research I have read on the web say's that lorazapam (short acting benzo) should be gone after 48 hours. It was a rough couple of days, but I made it through, so far anyway. I'll need to give it a few more days to really know where I am at. I'll hold off on any pharacuticals for a week or so just to make sure.

I'm hoping the naltrexone might have a positive affect in the "long term" drinking issue. I know it is not a short term solution. We'll see.

Thanks so much to everyone taking the the time to read and post to thos this thread, I really do appreciate all your comments.

Thanks again,

LD.

Profile E-mail