It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Sinclair Method and the liver
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:32 pm 

Hello - I am seriously looking into this method as I am drinking too much. I have fatty liver from the drinking - will this drug do further damage to my liver. I am new to this site so I hope this is ok to post. Thanks you all!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Sinclair Method and the liver
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:06 am 

Hi Tex - welcome to the board!

In trials, Naltrexone was shown to affect the liver at extremely high doses - doses much higher than you would normally take when practicing TSM. I would suggest looking at it this way: your continued drinking is going to further damage your liver much worse than starting TSM and reducing your intake with Nal. Any additional affect that the Nal itself has on your liver would be negligible.

(I should note that I am not a medical professional, and you should absolutely discuss any treatment with your doctor.)

The golden rule is to take Nal one hour before drinking, and then drink as you normally would. I would recommend picking up Dr. Roy Eskapa's book The Cure for Alcoholism, but be advised that many of us have found that the "cure" timeframe in the book (3-4 months) is unrealistic - depending on your history of boozing, it could be more like 6-12 months. I would also encourage you to read as much as you can on this board, particularly the stories/experiences of those on the "Cured List."

Feel free to share as much as you are comfortable with on this forum, and I wish you the best of luck.

-H

Milestones...
Pre TSM: 90.00/1
First 6-Month Average: 34.66/2.46
Second 6-Month Average: 37.07/1.88
Lowest Total: 11.00/5 (Week 29)

Longest AF Streak...
495 Days

Current AF Streak...
7 Days

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:53 pm 

Hi Tex, welcome, and of course it's OK to post! This site is here "to discuss our progress and to support and inform those who are new to the process", or in other words to help each other.

Sorry to give the pseudo-legal spiel, but it does matter because it's true ;) - I am not medically qualified in anyway, and my opinions are purely those of a layman, so please don't treat them as anything other than such.

I'm unaware of any studies looking at interactions between Naltrexone and pre-existing liver disease. My limited understanding of the oft-quoted figures of 50mg therapeutic dose and 300mg "that your liver can stand" leads me to believe that Naltrexone actually has a fairly poor therapeutic window in healthy individuals.

When starting Nal some 5 months ago, my liver functions were mildly out of range (GGT specifically); since then, they've returned to normal range because of the lower booze intake. I'm also taking an anti-fungal which has possible hepatotoxic side effects, though I stopped taking that whilst I started Nal.

In summary, I think Hesster hits the nail on the head - keeping on drinking will cause worse damage than Nal, though I'd also add that (in my opinion) you're right to be concerned. Roll on Nalmefene ;). How much experience does your doctor have with prescribing Nal? If they've got a lot then they'll almost certainly have a feel for it; if they don't, then you could get them to talk to a hepatologist and "ask around" the medical community to get a proper answer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:39 am 

I personally think the risk doesn't actually lie with Naltrexone per se - well not in those doses used in TSM. In my opinion it's the continued drinking which is the biggest risk to the liver, and the biggest reason to monitor the situation. I've reduced right down to safe, normal levels of drinking and alcohol no longer bothers me. My last liver test which was only just about the time I considered myself 'cured', was absolutely normal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:16 am 

Most of the structures of the field are accumulated for the systems. The need for the trans tutors review is invited for themed of the scores. The turn is fit for the plants. The mode is approved for the structures. The mid of the supports mechanized for the individuals. Transgender is fully protected into the blog.

Profile E-mail