It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TSM and dealing with alcohol withdrawal symptoms
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:02 pm 

Hi all!

I have been drinking regularly, almost every night, for the last 25 years. I drink only at night and have about 4-8 beers. The last seven years or so, I had to do this every night, but was able to control it to 4 when necessary, so I was in control somewhat. And during the day, though I might have been a bit hungover if I pushed the usual number up to 9 or 10, I still woke up and functioned fine, and never felt cravings during the day.

That all changed a few weeks ago. For a two week period, I upped the amount to 10 beers. That period ended when I woke up, not to a hangover, but to strange, new feelings: pressures on the head; feelings that I might fall down; anxiety attacks; some shaking. I looked on line, and read that this happens to people who have been drinking as long as I have. On the AA/abstinence boards, they talk about this a lot, and make it seem this is a new reality that I can't make go away. The nurse at ER and an addiction therapist both told me my vital signs are fine, and that my symptoms are very mild. The therapist even told me he doubts that I actually had withdrawals. So I am confused.

I started TSM on Thursday. Took 25mg two nights, and and tonight is my second night at 50mg. No side effects, except for a bit of spaciness when I drink. And during the day, I felt very good, but it still wasn't like before.

The nal works very, very well for me. My goal for now is 7 beers. Saturday night, I only had 6. And last night, only 5. But today in the afternoon, I again started to feel some of the same symptoms I described above. Very mild compared to other horrors I've read online, but, still, it was affecting my day in a bad way.

For some reason, I see very little talk about such withdrawal symptoms here, not sure why. There is only one poster I recall who I've seen talking about such things. Or maybe I am misinterpreting when people talk about "hangovers?" I wish I still had those old fashioned hangovers! The therapist who told me he didn't think I had withdrawal--he thought it was just anxiety--said that they should go away when I taper off. I hope so! But it didn't happen when I reduced to 5 last night. Has anyone else had experiences with this and how they were able to deal with them using nal?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: TSM and dealing with alcohol withdrawal symptoms
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:56 am 

Hi there and welcome,

The reason for little withdrawl talk is that because of the way in which TSM works, which is gradual reduction over time, and not abstenance from the outset, means that withdrawl is rare. Some do experience a period of insomnia, but I can't recall hearing about anyone who was suffering from full-blown withdrawls.

Cravings eliminated Sept 2011
Now fully in control, alcohol no longer bothers me. Chose to go AF from 22nd July 2013.
TSM set me free

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:00 am 

I still remember pretty vividly when I first experienced "withdrawal" symptoms such as you are reporting. It was about 6 years ago after a particularly heavy drinking bout. Quite scary. Also caused a lot of anxiety and panic at odd times. Alcohol (of course) relieved all the symptoms, but postponed the time until they would moderate. From that point on, it always took a few more days (and a few more drinks) for me to get back to feeling "normal". I think you are correct that we just lump all of these symptoms into the generic "hangover". Simpler and safer, because non-alcoholics have hang-overs too. Doesn't sound so bad...

Fear not. TSM made it all a thing of the past for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:26 am 

Thanks. Yes, Clarion, "withdrawal" after heavy drinking. In other words, as if my body now wants alcohol during the day, where as this never happened before in all my 25 years of drinking. My days had always been distinct from my nighttime drinking.

A few times, I couldn't eat, because my hand was trembling so much. Once I went to the store, felt panicky, used the shopping cart to steady myself, then started feeling I would fall down, my hand started shaking, and I just left everything and rushed out of the store. So, while comparatively the symptoms are not as bad as hallucinating, etc, my days are sorta ruined. I'm afraid to leave the house.

So just wondering if for anyone else it had gotten so far. This last week, I've had about 5-7 beers a night, which should have stabilized things. But after 7 last night, still feel these new symptoms today. Will they end? Did you feel them subside after drinking at a "safe" level for a while?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:05 pm 

Sometimes long-term alcohol abuse can result in nerve damage, or long term withdrawl type symptoms, perhaps this is what you are experiencing?

Cravings eliminated Sept 2011
Now fully in control, alcohol no longer bothers me. Chose to go AF from 22nd July 2013.
TSM set me free

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:58 pm 

Yeah, some long term withdrawal symptoms is what I am worried about. They talk about it a lot on AA/abstinence type boards, such as below. But I'm not the only one here who has been drinking this long. And some, such as Clarion above, have experienced similar, so that's what I was wondering about. What the TSM experience was with this.

Thing is, it's hard to tell reading those other boards if this is something permanent. Because, for them, as we know, this is all permanent for all of us, and there is only one cure: detox + absolute abstinence. That's the only answer they have; they won't say if moderation won't make it go away. Btw, I now notice that in the first post of the thread below, the guy had been going through this for 5 whole years! And drinking non-stop through it all! I've felt better this last week since I've maintained a lower number of around 7. And I have the nal now to help me not go overboard. So, I hope it can pull me through!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alc ... rawal.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:59 pm 

First of all - when Drs and Nurses are discussing withdrawal, they are looking for physical signs and things that may be very extreme and 'definable" I personally think those are terrible criteria and believe wholeheartedly that those sound like withdrawal symptoms. Alcohol has an extreme effect on my moods and I really relate to the person who posted the info about the depression and shame. I know now, that was so much about the physiological effect alcohol had on me as it was about the emotional issues I had from my drinking.

I think it is really hard to tell what is what - and maybe it isn't necessary to figure it out. I think we try to figure everything out - I know I did/do - but really maybe all you need to know is that things are going to be rough, that things are going to be weird, and that you are definitely have to have time to adjust...and then just ride it out. Maybe as long as you are not in danger from the kind of withdrawal that can threaten your physical safety, you could just riding this and if you feel like staying at home, stay home. If you are cranky, try to contain yourself and do whatever you need to do to minimize the damage. I do agree with the AA saying 'Easy Does It' when it comes to this time. Be gentle with yourself and expect to be a mess for a while. Besides, if your drinking gets under control or you become abstinent, you will know then what those symptoms are. No point in thinking you have anxiety or other issues until you remove the first obvious possible cause. That's been my attitude anyway. I'm assuming my headaches are from being hungover until I stop being hungover. I'm also assuming my stress, irritability and depression is a result of my excessive drinking (or withdrawals), until I am not drinking to excess and my body is obviously not withdrawing from alcohol. What I can tell you is that my drinking is very moderate lately and the physical and emotional symptoms have almost disappeared as well.

Hope this helps!

Jephiner

5/19.5/3
6/16.2/2
7/23.4/1
8/26.8/1
9/18.7/3
10/19.3/2
week 10 - 16 - haven't been tracking

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:40 pm 

Quick update: I think the withdrawal symptoms are all gone!

This is after a week of moderation without nal, and 9 days of drinking moderately with nal.

I will try to write a more detailed account about what I think happened soon. Until then, thank you so much for the helpful replies and take care!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:46 am 

I liked this post, it is very informative. I read something very similar to this post on https://www.psychreg.org/bullying-university/ and it was informative as well. I like reading posts like this, they tell us something we don’t know about.

Profile E-mail