It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: My drinking habit
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 pm 

Any advice Joe?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:26 am 

No new advice, really. When you do drink, try to keep the number of drinks to a minimum, especially while you're waiting for your prescription to be refilled. I do understand your need to avoid the hangovers. Optimally, you would have a drink or two whenever you crave a drink, but I understand that it doesn't always work out that way. Keep on looking for control, even if you don't find it most of the time. It's like working a muscle to make it stronger, even though it might be difficult at the moment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:56 am 

The method doesn't work, I drink almost every day and a lot. I can't stand it anymore. I lie to my relatives, I have terrible hangovers, my therapist told me she can't help me now until I get some psychiatric advice. Everything is falling. Did it happen to any of you after a year of success?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:41 am 

So there is literally no difference between when you started TSM and now?

There are people that have been using it for 2-3 years and while they aren't indifferent to alcohol, it's helped them control their drinking like nothing else could. OTOH, there are indeed people who it just doesn't help at all and they have to try something else.

What brand of Naltrexone are you taking, Lilavi?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:24 am 

The brand is Accord. There is a difference between how I used to drink before TSM and now but last month was just terrible, I drank almost every day. My mom said I have to stop drinking because she doesn't trust me anymore and she will withholod the agreement to give me the appartment we live in. I don't know what to do. I was happy without alcohol in the past months, I really didn't want to drink and a month ago everything changed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:37 pm 

That's odd. Did any of your other medications change, or did you start a new medication?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 am 

Nothing changed except my emotions. I know I can't be an abstinent right now, but I have to or I have to drink just a little and hide that fact. From January till June I drank only a few times, like 3 or 4 and I was very happy about it. Then this relationship started to grow and I am anxious and worried instead of happy. Do you know such cases like mine?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:07 pm 

I've had exchanges with drinkers that have anxiety and that certainly has an impact on their drinking, but it's often largely caused drinking too much and their anxiety improves as they drink less. I don't know that this is the same situation. It sounds like either you need another medication for the anxiety, or some other healthy way of handling it.

If this is an unusual drinking situation for you (anxiety about relationships) TSM may eventually unwire your drinking response to that kind of anxiety, but it wouldn't do anything about the initial anxiety itself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:44 am 

I see. The thing is I can't drink right now because of the situation with my mother. I'm afraid of the consequences. I work on the anxiety with my therapist. We also discuss my drinking. Do you know other people who are in TSM and after a year or two of moderate drinking they had such a binge like me, lasting a few weeks? Not only for anxiety reasons but whatever other reason that could be? And did they get back to moderate drinking or quit it later?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:09 am 

There are some that thought they could drink without the Naltrexone, but they found out they couldn't and went back on TSM. I think there are a couple of problems here:

1. It's a unique situation and you didn't have a good solution for it so you drank to feel better.

2. When you drink, your forebrain still gets overpowered quickly, so the "Stop" signal from your forebrain doesn't come and you keep drinking. Having to abstain with willpower doesn't help the situation, due to the Alcohol Deprivation Effect.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next