It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: when do I measure my weekly craving using the VAS?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:12 am 

Hello All.
I'm new to TSM. First week, very excited still. :-)

According to the book I want to chart my craving using the VAS visual analog scale.

However, if I ask myself whether I would like to drink while having a massive hangover, the answer is different than if I ask myself on a Friday evening before a party after 2 alcohol free days, isn't it?

Strange I couldn't find an answer to this on the internet, or I just don't get it.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: when do I measure my weekly craving using the VAS?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:48 pm 

Hi Stefan and congratulations on getting started with TSM!

As for the VAS, it's not going to be consistent and it's more of a consciousness building effort than anything. It gets you to stop and ask "Would it feel better to have a drink now, or would it feel better to skip it?". As over time, TSM attenuates the unconscious cravings and urge to drink, the conscious part of the brain that issues the "STOP" signal (in the video below) will be getting more and more of a voice when you take a moment and hold a vote on whether to start/continue drinking at that moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibR4zCH-_qQ

So what you're doing with the VAS is to throw in a bit of a pause in what has been an automatic response and giving yourself a chance to choose something other than the booze. Another way of doing that is to leave your alcoholic drink in another room and return for a sip of it when you really want one. If you keep a NA drink close by you, it gives you a chance to choose that instead and say "I don't really need another sip of the alcohol right now. Maybe I'll have one a bit later." So an important aspect of it is to just throw a pause in the proceedings that gives you a chance to break up the habitual part of drinking.

So if you weren't applying the VAS on a daily basis, I think applying it at the end of your week would be fine, or if you tend to binge on the weekends, maybe use it in the middle of the week or just prior to drinking on Friday if you don't drink during the week?

Profile E-mail