It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Can a lower dose of Nal work for some?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:48 pm 

I was pretty successful with TSM for about an 8 month period that ended in April of this year. I am a daily drinker and still rarely had AF days at that point. I was feeling flat and my libido was significantly decreased so I stopped TSM. I drink daily but starting at around 5 P.M. and ending around 10/11 P.M. I feel like having my endorphins blocked 24/7 does not work for me because of those side effects. Running/exercising required much more effort too but that I could deal with. Anyway I had taken 12.5 mg from time to time and it seemed to curb my drinking just as well (after trying 25 mg and that still giving me the depressed feeling and low sex drive) I just started back today with 12.5 mg so I was wondering if others have had success at lower doses? I just don’t think I can be successful and continue if I have to deal with the side effects of higher doses.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Can a lower dose of Nal work for some?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:50 pm 

It might be, Grayjay. I spent most of my time at a reduced dosage. My own doc said some get along fine with 25mg while some need 100mg.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:03 am 

Good to know! I’m going to at least give it a try and see how it goes. I may try 25 mg again after a few days and see how that goes. Anyway thanks for the response!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:49 am 

Let us know what you find, Grayjay!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:46 pm 

There is a study out there that shows that libido actually increases with Naltrexone use. I've been competing at a high level in bicycle racing for many many years and TSM has not slowed that down at all. In fact if anything it's made it better because now I don't show up to bike races hung over. I did worry A LOT about the same thing that you are worried about though when I first started but my drinking was so bad I was willing to give up a lot in order to stop drinking.

But like anything drugs work differently with different people but I would suggest you look into other causes first.

As for dosage. I have been doing 1/4 or 1/2 pills almost exclusively since I started TSM but I also did 50mg doses for some time too. What I found was that for me there really was no difference between taking a half or a full dose. A one quarter dose... Maybe, but that still curbs my drinking to very normal levels.

So yes lower doses do indeed work for some people. It's best to find that out right when you start TSM. I'd hate to suggest someone who has been successful with TSM to start taking a lower dose only to find out hat they start relapsing. So at this stage you have nothing to loose, try it and see.

Profile E-mail