It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: My drinking habit
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:42 am 

Hmm. You may want to increase the amount of Naltrexone to a full pill (50mg). The LDN might not be enough to block the endorphins completely, which would allow your brain to re-learn that alcohol=pleasure.

As I recall, being lonely and bored is a big trigger for you.

I also suggest that when you are drinking (especially when you are lonely/bored) that you don't keep the glass by you. Leave it in another room and keep a non-alcohol drink close to you. Whiskey can also overpower the conscious part of your brain very quickly and then your sense of control will be badly affected. I would suggest you stick with beer or wine in those situations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:13 pm 

Thank you for your advice. I took a 50mg pill every time before drinking, and even though I drank so much. So my sister who is also a therapist, decided that I should go back to antidepressants in full dose (I quit them a few weeks ago) and sleeping pills in full dose. Those worked very well for me in the past. I might have to get back on track because I apparently don't cope well without them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:56 pm 

Antidepressants work well to suppress the urge to drink for some people. The same antidepressant might make a different person drink more, so make sure you take notes and if your drinking increases suddenly, let your sister know right away.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:11 am 

Ok, I will pay attention to that issue. I had 2-day break from drinking and today I bought 4 beers. Will se how it goes. I even took 75mg of Nal as I weigh a lot and that might also be important. So hopefully I will drink 4-6 beers and not more, to not be hungover tomorrow and to see if it works for me. Because I'm already worried about my recovery. I don't want to drink more and more. I want to drink less.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:20 pm 

I forgot to mention that I am still looking fot that buzz while drinking and that's maybe the reason why I am not successful. I try to over-drink the Naltrexone and to get the effect I am looking for..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:37 pm 

If you are consistent about taking the Nalrexone an hour before drinking (with a redose in the 10th hour if you will be drinking more than 12 hours), then even if you feel a "buzz", the addicted part of your brain won't remember that you had fun and the addiction will begin to fade.

Drinking on Naltrexone didn't feel any different to me, but TSM worked for me anyway.

Being a binge drinker, it's harder for you to say "enough for tonight" as binge drinkers tend to drink so quickly that it overpowers the part of the brain that says "enough".

Concerning your weight, I don't know for a fact that you need to take a larger dose of Naltrexone to compensate. You should probably discuss that with your sister. OTOH, if the supply of Naltrexone in your area is unreliable and you end up drinking without the medication, then that will set you back, so you have to plan around that too. It may be that taking 75mg or 100mg instead of 50mg will help you reach your goals, I just don't know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:39 am 

I am trying to be consistent but my drinking increased and in May I drank almost every day. I am worried, I don't want to drink because I am tired yet I have to drink to let the method work.. I don't know what to do anymore :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:44 am 

Try to notice the difference in your mind between craving another drink and habitual drinking. One won't leave you alone, the other you'll have an easier time ignoring. You only need one drink after taking the pill to make TSM work, the other drinks are not required.

Are you keeping your drink close to you? Are you drinking beer, wine or spirits? Work on leaving your drink in the next room and keeping a non-alcoholic drink by your side. When the alcohol is close at hand, it's too easy to drink automatically without raising a challenge as to whether you really need that next gulp or not.

How's the boredom factor lately?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:04 pm 

Well, I am bored sometimes when I'm alone so I try to talk to people on Facebook or watch some movies or interviews. But last month I drank so much that I was either drunk or hungover so it is difficult to estimate the boredom :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:56 pm 

Well, I don't know if you can get a copy of it there, but I'd suggest looking at some of the previews for How Not to Die by Michael Greger, MD. You might find it engaging and healthy as well! I was a meat and potatoes kind if guy before I read it. It really inspired me to change how and what I eat.

Have you tried taking more Naltrexone in the past, like increasing your dose to 75 or 100mg?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next