It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Concerned Husband in a bind
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:26 pm 

My wife is a mess. Three treatment centers and multiple hospitalizations have left here a shadow of her former self. She has little control over her actions. We began TSM about a month and a half ago with mixed results. Overall, she does seem more aware, but she still is deep in the clutches of her addiction. We have been working with her primary physician and she agreed to up the nal to 100 MG a day. I have been giving her the nal when I leave for work at 9am. She seems to do better in the mornings and afternoon but by evening she is drinking enough to loose control and fall on occasions. I'm wondering a couple things:

Where can I find a coach to help us through this?

Should she be taking both pills in the morning?

Sometimes she drinks before she takes her pill, does this make the process start over?

What is the methodology concerning chronic alcoholics such as herself?

Any constructive comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Concerned Husband in a bind
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:29 pm 

SerialBob, I am sorry that you and your wife are having such a tough time. She is lucky to have your support.

Have you read the book? It is really important that you and your wife read it so that you understand how the process works. You can find it online here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/60fs7gmvbyzs1kk/Cure%20for%20Alcoholism.pdf?dl=0.

I am not an expert in TSM. I have been using the method for six months and have seen improvement in my drinking. I am not sure that at this early stage, upping the dose to 100mg is going to make a difference. What is important, however, is that your wife take the drug and wait one hour before drinking. Perhaps you can give her the pill at 8:00 and make sure she doesn't drink before you leave for work. If you are convinced that the 100mg is going to make a difference I would have her take the second pill in the afternoon, because it sounds like she is drinking through the nal.

Does your wife want to stop drinking? I can say that the nal helps with the extinction process, but I think that, for me, a part of the process is having the desire to stop and being more mindful about drinking.

I wish you both success. There is a lot of support here and I am looking forward to hearing how you are both doing.

Week 28-42 not tracking

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:34 pm 

SerialBob, I found this post from Jaba, a frequent poster and wonderful resource, on another thread. It sounds like your wife should be taking her second pill in the afternoon.

"I wanted to asked if you are still drinking in the morning? If so, I dug up an old post and Dr. Eskapa had asked Sinclair about all day drinkers. Sinclair said that if they wake in the morning to take a pill and if they find themselves drinking longer or after 12 hours to take another dose for a booster (I think 1/2 of pill would to just as affective). I am unsure about the "science" about it, but it might have something to do with the 1/2 life of the nal. "

Week 28-42 not tracking

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:55 am 

SerailBob,

Please go to the C-3 foundation and/or Options Saves lives Forum. JoAnna is a counselor and will help anyone through the process of TSM. JoAnna has helped 100s through this process and may be able to help you and your wife.

TSM is a process and it has ups and downs. Not everyone will have fast results like the book claims, but we all see results.

It sounds like your wife had a honeymoon period in the beginning which is a good sign.

She needs to realize that she has to be compliant, but if she is taking 100 mg it is doubtful that she is getting that endorphin rush from the alcohol when she didn't take her pill, but it needs not to happen again. She will not be starting over just because she drank before she takes her pill. It needs to be stressed that taking the pill 1 hour before she drinks is how the unlearning of the addiction works. The nal will block the receptors that the alcohol wants to hit for pleasure and with time your brain stops looking for the pleasure. Right now her brain is fighting with her and is looking for that pleasure it is no longer getting, so that may be why her intake has increased.

She will still be able to get drunk on the nal, but the feeling is different.

TSM is ideal for chronic alcoholics for they get to continue to drink without going through withdrawals. As they go through the process the brain will unlearn how to be an alcoholic as their intake continues to decrease.

Is your wife a willing participant or was this thrusted upon her? If she is willing and has accepted full responsibility for her recovery, she has got to "do" for herself. The first thing she has to do for herself is make sure she takes that pill and wait that hour; the second thing is she needs to count her intake and make a log. She needs to understand that there is no shame or guilt in this process. There is no judging or giving into a higher power, it is just the pill, waiting, and drinking. And when she drinks she has to count.

I think she is doing the best thing for herself, for TSM has saved my life (and I think everyone here feels the same). Maybe if she came here so we can support her through this it might help, for it can be scary doing it alone.

If she, or you, needs anything please let us know.

Jaba

The link to C-3, even though JoAnna is in Europe she counsels people all over the world.

http://cthreeeurope.com

Last edited by jaba on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:56 am 

Serial, I thought I'd jump in as a chronic, stage 5 alcoholic now on TSM. My path was a little different as I gained 11mo. sobriety through aa before coming here, but Naltexone works for us chronic cases. I have an organic control over my drinking now free from compulsions and cravings.

Otherwise, as others suggested read the book," The Cure for Alcoholism" so that you have an understanding of what you are doing. Your wife must never drink before allowing one hour to pass after taking Naltrexone. I would consider it starting from scratch from the sound of it ignoring the prior month of non-compliance. Further, it is unlikely increasing the dose at this point will achieve anything.

Hang in there! You're in the right place.

Profile E-mail