It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Therapy and TSM?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:29 pm 

Joe -- Thanks for the book rec. I'll check it out.

Jaba -- yah, it's not the most pleasant row to hoe living with a depressed person. But I remind myself that if it's hard on me, it's far, FAR harder on him. Depression, I've come to understand, is like having a bad flu -- in your mind.

He seems to be drinking quite a bit less right now in response to seeing what I'm doing with the Sinclair Method and that's a start. I will keep this thread posted if I am able to get him together with a MBCT (Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy) practicioner to whom he responds well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:15 pm 

That's good news about him cutting back. Alcohol is a depressant itself and steps on so many meds, not to mention stepping on most every system in the body.

Another thing to look at might be the AD's he's taking. If you search on SSRI alcohol craving, it's a bit of an eye opener. Now, this is just people on the web saying things and I've got to assume that the lions share of people use these meds successfully, but it's something to keep an eye peeled for. Have a look at this when you get a chance:

http://rxisk.org/driven-to-drink-antide ... r-alcohol/

If you check the "Team" link under "About", it lends some credence.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:56 pm 

My guy doesn't take any anti depressants. They generally are not prescribed for "rapid cyclers"; He takes a mood stabilizer, lamictal, and although this doesn't prevent cycling it seems to at least partially lessen the depth of his depressions, thank goodness. And there is no reported bad interaction with alcohol on this drug, again, thank goodness for small favors!

But, yes, that would be a major concern if he were on AD's and drinking I feel sure. Downright dangerous in some cases is what I've read in the past. You really want to try not to go there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:58 pm 

I am certainly no professional, but I would be very cognizant of the chickens and eggs.

I always had bouts of depression that only alcohol could alleviate, with or without meds. But when I found TSM and got cured, I haven't had a single bout, and no meds. And actually, I never thought about that fact or realized it until just now reading your post.

An alcoholic can rationalize anything.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:31 am 

T.O.

My heart goes out to you and your husband, for it has to be hard on you and him. I do not know how a rapid cycler would be like to live with or to be; however, I had rapid mood changes from bouts of PMDD as I got older. It effected everyone around me and I felt like I was going crazy (alcohol did play a big part of it)....like I said my heart goes out to both of you.

I also had no idea that they didn't prescribe AD for that, but science is always changing and one day maybe they will have a drug to target the part in his brain to help him with his depression and his rapid cycling.

Yes, thank goodness he doesn't have an interaction with alcohol and lamictal.

Jaba

Profile E-mail