It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: HAMS: Harm Reduction Approaches
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:48 pm 

Here is the link to Kenneth Anderson's fascination site: http://www.hamsnetwork.org/

Here is a LINK to their tapering page that many have found helpful. Note that HAMS is very much anti-12 Step, supports and has articles on TSM on their Psychology Today Blog, and is aligned with Stanton Peele...

Week 1 : 23.5 / 3 AF
Week 2 : 22 / 3 AF
Week 3 : 20 / 3 AF
Week 4 : 29 / 0 AF

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: HAMS: Harm Reduction Approaches
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:17 pm 

That's exactly the page I started with when my friend went into detox. I got down to just a few pints a night, then went zooming up to almost 12 pints (about 15 standards). I was able to pull it back down to around 9-10 standards by the time I started TSM. Useful info, for sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:28 am 

JoeSixPack wrote:
That's exactly the page I started with when my friend went into detox. I got down to just a few pints a night, then went zooming up to almost 12 pints (about 15 standards). I was able to pull it back down to around 9-10 standards by the time I started TSM. Useful info, for sure.

My personal experience with rehab overall is that it sucked and was little more than dwelling on the 12-step mantra with some CBT thrown in by renegade, younger Substance Abuse Counselors. Personally, I detoxed myself within two days and my withdrawals were unpleasant but still mild enough to be manageable. I did a quick taper and all over my minor symptoms were gone. Interesting, I had an upset stomach and thought maybe that was the damage done by too much beer, but soon found it went away after a shot or two...

I don't recommend rehab if one can avoid it - mine was not court ordered or anything, but it did have a net positive impact on the outcomes and I guess I learned all about TSM by reading against the 12-stepper dogma. But a lot of people lose their significant others in rehab. Others have people make decisions that are not in their benefit as they can take advantage of the fact that one is locked away for four weeks. And of course there is a stigma of alcohol treatment present in some medical files for employers, although I won't have that problem...

Week 1 : 23.5 / 3 AF
Week 2 : 22 / 3 AF
Week 3 : 20 / 3 AF
Week 4 : 29 / 0 AF

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:26 pm 

Yeah, rehab is frequently not the best choice. Like you say, some can even detox at home with the right medications and support, or simply start in on TSM if under the care of a knowledgeable doctor and they can slowly ramp down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:42 pm 

Thanks for posting that link! It's full of interesting articles and information.

Man, after reading a few of those articles, those detox centers are looking worse and worse.

Profile E-mail