It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: TSM and Baclofen
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:18 pm 

Mareen,

That is funny how you brought up the alcoholism/menopause connection, for my drinking started when my hormones started fluctuating (late 30s) and became really bad when I started with the hot flashes and night sweats. A couple of my friends have noticed their drinking has picked up and they are going through the changes as well...and what you posted makes perfect sense to me.

I am glad you are finding what works for you.

If you can keep posting,

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:52 am 

I threw away my naltexone (only five left) last night. I felt more intoxicated taking nal and baclofen on days that I drank. As long as I had the nal, I knew I was going to drink some time during the week. Honestly, the bac is working so well, I don't feel like I need to drink. And if I do, I can use my AA resources (sponsor, higher power) to help me stay sober.

I have a year's prescription for nal if I need it. I know there is a risk about not having nal, but there is also a risk of getting a DUI because nal hasn't decreased my units. It helped me to act less drunk and that was helpful.

I know that bac is not extinction, but for now I really need to focus on not getting a DUI (haven't had one yet) which would have severe consequences in my marriage.

I also realize that I have been going through the same stages of death in regards to my alcoholism: denial, anger, and bargaining. I think TSM has been part of my bargaining and now ready to move on to acceptance. The bac helps with the "obsession of the mind" that is the root of alcoholism.

Maybe returning to TSM later on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:02 am 

Forgot to mention that I am taking 5 m of baclofen in the morning, 10m at 11 am; and 10m at 4 p.m.

I bought it through Riverside pharmacy. If you get the 20m with the crease, you can split them very easily. It cost about $70 for two month supply. Came in about 10days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:39 pm 

Maureen wrote:
I also realize that I have been going through the same stages of death in regards to my alcoholism: denial, anger, and bargaining. I think TSM has been part of my bargaining and now ready to move on to acceptance.

That hit a nerve! And I can relate to that point too well...thanks for posting that here, for that is definitely food for thought!

Keep doing what works for you Maureen, for that is what is going to work!

Keep us posted it,

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:08 am 

Not only am I feeling more able to reduce the cravings, but I am getting my endorphines back!! What an exceptional high I get from exercising. All this is helping me go forward.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:58 pm 

Maureen,

I am jealous for I miss that endorphin rush from exercising, for even off the nal for 5 days I do not feel them!

I am glad you are having a positive experience!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted,

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:09 pm 

My baclofen experiment has ended. I decided to go off my low dose (25 mg) just after two weeks. I had very little side effects (sleepy in the afternoon) and greatly reduced cravings. The more I read about withdrawl, I realized that baclofen is like antidepressants, it replaces the neurotransmitter (GABA) and your body stops making it. Ouch. I am already starting to reduce my celexa prescription with the hope that I can get off antidepressants in the next 9 months (reducing 10% every month). So, I just thought that I don't want to also have to go through baclofen withdrawel later on. And since I was on it for such a short time, it only took a day to get off of it.

However, I want to mention that there are some other supplements that are helping me just as well. L-theanine also boosts GABA, but you don't suffer withdrawel when you go off of it. It isn't as intense as baclofen, but also no sleepiness.

I am also finding PGX really helps with cravings for alcohol and food. It is a natural fiber than stabilizes blood sugar for about 4-6 hours after eating.

And I am also throwing in serrapeptaise to help with inflamation of the liver.

I filled my nal prescription, but only drink about 2 days now a week. Also loving the endorphine rush from exercise.

End of story

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:50 am 

Thanks Maureen for updating you progress.

I am curious about the side effects with PGX, if you felt any intestinal distress or anything side effects. I have never heard of this and with having an elevated fasting blood sugar, but not high enough for doctors to worry about it, I would love to find something to help.

It sounds like you have a really good handle on things, and I am glad that things have changed for you!

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:19 pm 

Jaba, I take PGX, too. It is like any fiber, you start with a lower dose and build up. If you aren't used to that much fiber you could be in for some distress initially with a full dose.

Week 28-42 not tracking

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:15 pm 

The only side effect that I found with PGX is constipation---so I put ground up flax seeds in my morning shakes.

I wanted to mention that instead of baclofen (30mg), I am now using Picamilon (50 mg) with L Theanine (200 mg) and finding a superior repression of the alcohol cravings, without any drowsiness.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next