It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I quit drinking last november.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:10 pm 

My last post was August 05 2010. My posts were not worth reading so I just quit writing but I did peek in from time to time. This forum was very helpful (thanks). I used Nal for about two years. I finally quit drinking when my prescription ran out and I did not bother to have it refilled. I think I have one or two pills left. I'll never throw them out.

Anyway. I decided I drank enough for a lifetime. I was very concerned that my frends would be uncomfortable around me. I drink Bush NA because the can looks the same as the real stuff. I have found several very good non-alcoholic wines. Some people do not know that I don't drink anymore. The ones that do have now quit making it a big deal. The joke is that my wine is actually very good. Add a shot of vodka and it would be 5 stars. Whole foods has a product called 12. It's red and drinks like wine (you only want to sip it). I had problems early on with soda or other things. I would go through them too fast. I drink this stuff only when friends come over for a beer which has started to happen again. Makes me feel like this is all finally over.

Well thanks all put me on the list. Don't know why I would ever drink again. I'm 56 and I need all the brain cells I can keep.

PS It was difficult the first two months but I had quit smoking years earlier and I knew it would go away. It did. My every evening drunk has been replaced by lots of other stuff. Our Yard even looks OK. I found a lot of people that drink but don't like hanging with people that get ripped all the time. They could care less if I'm drinking NA beer . They drink it occasionally.

Good luck all!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I quit drinking last november.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:04 pm 

Congrats! That is a really heartwarming story. My goal isn't abstinence, but with a story like that I can see how I might even just slip into it :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:31 am 

Todd, congratulations, that must be a wonderful feeling. I admire your stick-to-it-ness and decision to be AF. I'm see you joined the forum about 2 years ago...when would you say you gained control or were "cured" (by your own definition)? I'm about your age and a long time beer drinker and am wondering if I will ever lose the urge completely :( . True, most beer tastes kinda bad now and the buzz isn't as good, but apparently it's good enough that I still chase it on a regular basis. Any details would be appreciated!

TSM WORKS!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:06 am 

Chrissie wrote:
Todd, congratulations, that must be a wonderful feeling. I admire your stick-to-it-ness and decision to be AF. I'm see you joined the forum about 2 years ago...when would you say you gained control or were "cured" (by your own definition)? I'm about your age and a long time beer drinker and am wondering if I will ever lose the urge completely :( . True, most beer tastes kinda bad now and the buzz isn't as good, but apparently it's good enough that I still chase it on a regular basis. Any details would be appreciated!

Hi Chrissie,
I never felt I was cured. I spent a lot of time every day planning when I was going to drink. Planning how I traveled for work, being sure I got the the hotel with plenty of time to have a drink.
Nal really works in minimizing the buzz. It's a VERY big help but if you are like I was, I think you have to say to yourself that Nal got you 90% there and you need to take the last step.
You may have quit smoking or know someone who has. It's exactly like that. Yes , I think about it every once in awhile. But not everyday and not obsessed with it. And that is one thing I noticed that TSM does do. You (I) tend to obsess on drinking.
I noticed that you have several AF days. I had very few. If I can do this , you certainly can.
My suggestion. (this may be contrary to TSM. It's been a long time since I read the book.)
Get it out of your head that you will turn into a social drinker. It's more than how alcohol effects you . Good social drinkers have great self control. I don't fit in that group. Nal can greatly easy the urge to drink but you have to finally decide you are better off without alcohol than with it. Drinking is part alcohol addiction and part habit. You now need to work on the habit.
Start now deciding what you are going to do instead of drinking. How will you spend your evenings?
Who can you hang out with instead of drinking.
Starting thinking now before you quit.
Take a second or two every morning and think about the night before. Were the beers you had that great? could you have lived without them?

Or if you did not drink . Was it so bad?
If you are my age you should reading up on memory as we get older. No alcohol is any good for your memory. How much longer do you intend to live?

I didn't drink NA beer or NA wine for several months. I now drink it when I am in a social drinking situation. It tastes quite good but I can't drink more than two. Drinking two beers is like eating a loaf of bread.

good luck . I 'll stick around for a month or so if you want to talk more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:16 pm 

Hey Todd, I really appreciate the details and your reccomendations. Did you start TSM w/ abstinence in mind? According to the book, that is the goal of 15% of people who commence TSM but then 30% end up deciding abstinence is the way to go. So far, I've had more & more success in getting AF days, which are pretty easy at this point. I'm also reassured by how much better my "social" drinking as become: I no longer wonder if I will be unable to stop, or say something stupid. At this point, my goal is still moderate drinking, and ESP. the experience often read here of just becoming indifferent to alcohol...that is the goal I REALLY want.

A while back, I was abstinent for about 5 years by attending AA for a month. I didn't really buy into any of the program other than it was a place to say aloud that I wanted to quit drinking, and that was enough. Still, over that 5 years I came to feel resentful that I was "different" or being punished somehow, in some unfair way. I aslo dislike the "all or nothing" concept of abstinence. So...I began TSM last October 15 and moderate social drinking is still my goal. However, I'm taking notes as I go along and who knows where I will end up??? Anyway, I appreciate your adding your wisdom and success to the Cured List, well deserved, and well done. :)

TSM WORKS!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:08 am 

Congratulations, Todd!

25/12.5mg 8-7-8-6-6-10-6
12.5mg 6-5-4-etc
2-3u/session 2-3/week since Sept 2011

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:25 pm 

Congrats to you Todd - Thanks for reporting back to us. Like you, it took me nearly 2 years to be free of the beast. I agree that it is better to just give up alcohol entirely once you can as a result of TSM. I am on day 4 of AF and prior to that I stopped drinking my usual drink of wine with great results once I committed to that. Prior to that I had continued to drink wine everyday although TSM was having some effect. Over the last 4 1/2 weeks I have had little or no alcohol and starting this week I've lost interest entirely.

I agree it is like quitting smoking. The first few days are a little rough but then the freedom from the effects of smoking or alcohol are very pleasant and you just don't want to go back.

There seem to be more and more of us showing up on the board after doing TSM for a very long time and finally getting results. It took me a couple days shy of 16 months.

Hang in there everyone, no matter where you are at with TSM. For some of us it takes much longer than others.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:56 am 

Chrissie wrote:
Hey Todd, I really appreciate the details and your reccomendations. Did you start TSM w/ abstinence in mind? According to the book, that is the goal of 15% of people who commence TSM but then 30% end up deciding abstinence is the way to go.

I started TSM thinking like most that I could be a social drinker. It became clear it was not going to happen.

By the way, Do the people on this forum have doctors they discuss this stuff with? I had to fly out to LA to find one that would prescribe NAL and work with me. That is a mayor reason why I am AF.

My local doctor refused and wanted to send me to detox (slight exaggeration)

Another note:

My doctor , practicing Psychiatry, suggested I take L-theanine. It touches the same neural transmitters as alcohol. He suggested Theanine Serene a supplement from source Naturals. Don't expect any kind of a buz from this stuff but I did use it when I quit and it may have help. I used it when I was in social drinking situations. It is very relaxing so you fit it a bit more.

I react very well to drugs. Give me a placebo and tell me it will make me smarter, dumber , fatter , or thinner and it probably will. This may have been a huge factor in my success.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:07 am 

Quote:
I react very well to drugs. Give me a placebo and tell me it will make me smarter, dumber , fatter , or thinner and it probably will.
Can you tell me which "thinner" pill works for you? :D I believe considering myself highly "average" will be likewise helpful to me: if TSM is usually successful than why wouldn't I be? I would consider either moderation or abstinence as successful.

Quote:
I had to fly out to LA to find one that would prescribe NAL and work with me.
Sad. There are a few people here that are doing this w/ the supervision of a doctor, though of THAT group, I get the feeling most of them have told their dr. that they want Nal to be abstinent, as opposed to trying to explain TSM to the doc (that they will be drinking while taking it). Okay, I'm just guessing, but I would say maybe 50% of the people posting get their Nal online w/o a prescription, and then maybe the other 50% yes, have a doctor on board in some capacity. A number of people have said they get their Nal online because they don't want the Nal noted on their medical records :( .

TSM WORKS!!!

Profile E-mail