It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cured after a year on nal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:50 am 

After a year of treatment on nal, I've been alcohol-free for four weeks and am declaring myself cured.

The first 6 months on nal was a textbook example of success. I continually gained control, reduced the amount I was drinking, and started having a few AF days. I measured my drinks carefully, kept a graph of progress, and visited this forum daily.

However, the next 6 months were different. I had less control, drank more, stopped tracking my drinking so diligently, stopped updating my graph, and largely stopped visiting the forum.

When I was coming up on getting my last nal refill, I decided to go ahead and keep drinking as long as I had pills and then I would try to quit. I probably could have gotten another prescription, but I didn't want one. I thought a year was enough time - either the nal had worked or it had not worked, and it was time to find out.

I took my last pill and had my last drink on 31-Jul-2011. Starting 1-Aug, I didn't drink any more.

There have been (and will continue to be) some adjustments to make to life without alcohol, but I really haven't craved a drink. I think the nal worked to eliminate or largely reduce my physical dependence on alcohol. However, to actually quit still took some determination on my part.

My goal has never been to only drink occasionally and moderately. I don't think that is possible for me.

Even though I'm not craving a drink, I think I am still at risk of relapsing. I think if I were even to have one beer at a ballgame that I'd quickly be hooked again. So, just as I've had to avoid that first post-quitting cigarette for 24 years, I'm going to have to avoid that first post-quitting drink.

I could probably get more nal, but I don't want it. If I had some, I think I'd just take it and drink.

Thanks for all the support I received here over the past year+ and best wishes to all!

--mlb

Alcohol free since 1-Aug-2011

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cured after a year on nal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:10 pm 

Congrats MLB. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
You post alludes to an often overlooked benefit of Nal. At some point a TSMer can have an occaisional big night, yet they can easily follow it up with a significant duration of AF days with out effort. As SpringRider said somewhere: TSM slows the alcohol train down enough to jump off. And he recommends doing exactly what you are doing. Once you can jump off, do it!!. To each his own way. I applaud your success in getting to a place where an effective decision is able to be made. Good Luck going forward without craving. Not missing it, makes it so much easier, as you well know.

Last edited by digetic2 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:32 pm 

Congratulations, mlb!!

25/12.5mg 8-7-8-6-6-10-6
12.5mg 6-5-4-etc
2-3u/session 2-3/week since Sept 2011

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:03 am 

MLB - What a great surprise it was to pop onto the forum and find this entry from you! I don't get here much anymore, but I often thought about you as last I knew you were really struggling. Your "cured" status gives me real hope. Like you, my goal is to quit drinking, not moderate. I really notice what Nal has achieved for me. I no longer obsess about wine. I live my life which still includes too much wine every day, but if there is something more important going on, I can just walk away from the wine without another thought. So, here's hoping I get to where you are at. Thanks for being there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:37 am 

Good luck, Half a Glass!

If I still had nal, I'd still be drinking. The key for me was letting the prescription run out and then just quitting. Whether or not that would work for anyone else or not, I don't know. It seems to me we each have to find our own path through this.

Now 5 weeks AF.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:22 am 

So true, MLB. We all have to find our own path. There really isn't any particular plan to "regained control" or "cured," is there? You are such a prime example of that. What a weird ride you had on TSM, but you made it. I know I will too. Stay tuned.

Thanks for being there. You have been a true inspiration to me.

HG

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:20 am 

I don't really frequent this forum any more, but thought I'd leave a status update.

I've been alcohol-free for a little over 2 months now (9 weeks). I haven't craved a drink since quitting. I think the nal did its job on the physical addiction.

When I first quit, I would occasionally think about alcohol, but that is happening less often now. Not drinking is starting to seem normal.

--mlb

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:07 pm 

Great stuff mlb. I'm hoping I'll get to the same point soon, I know my AF days are effortless too it's just that some part of me wants to test myself out all the time. Have that drink, then wonder why I ordered it.

Cravings eliminated Sept 2011
Now fully in control, alcohol no longer bothers me. Chose to go AF from 22nd July 2013.
TSM set me free

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:29 pm 

Congratulations MLB!!!!

You hit the nail on the head when you said that you are still making adjustments in your life because of NOT drinking. That's the biggest piece of the puzzle: behaving our way into new thinking. How do we spend all that time if not in oblivion?

I am working on the same issues. I am relearning how to lead my life sans booze.

I figure it'll take about a year for me to regain control as well and I am in my 7th month.

Thanks for the post! It keeps me optimistic!!

Best of luck to you and yours,

Ketchikan1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:55 am 

I've gone AF for 5 months now and am feeling great. I made it through the holidays with company visiting who were largely drinking.

I'm looking forward to this new AF calendar year! Best wishes to everyone!

--mike

Profile E-mail