It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2 weeks into Sinclair Method
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:06 pm 

2 weeks into Sinclair Method.

I believe I fit into the category of people who may benefit after some period of time - not right away. I can feel a difference in the way alcohol affects me when I drink with Nal but I don’t seem to be drinking less quantity or less quickly. I’m still averaging about 4-5 beers a day. My goal would be 3 to 4 drinks on a weekend night or special occasions or somewhere near complete abstinence.

I don’t want to be a daily drinker anymore but I can’t stop myself. It affects my mood in negative ways, the hangovers and the constant thoughts of drinking stronger than any other impulse I have.

Anyone relate?

Brian

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 2 weeks into Sinclair Method
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:26 pm 

Bob, you may want to check out http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/ too. It's a bit more lively over there.

What did you notice about your drinking when you started the Effexor?

https://rxisk.org/driven-to-drink-antid ... r-alcohol/

To all that might read this, if you draw a link between your antidepressant and increased drinking, do not change the dose yourself. Please talk to your doctor about it asap.

Klonopin is a longer acting benzo, many have reported that benzos in general have quite an influence on their drinking. How long have you been taking Klonopin? Does the doc intend to keep you on it indefinitely?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:12 am 

Joe,

I have been on antidepressants and low-dose daily benzos for over 13 years. I have tried to come off both medications at various times but have been unsuccessful - depression and anxiety become overwhelming.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:02 am 

That may be due at least in part to the drinking. It's not a foregone conclusion that the antidepressants or the benzos are going to be a huge problem here, but the benzos especially have stalled people out in the past.

Just for what it's worth, some have managed to back off the benzos with gabapentin, then taper off the gabapentin. But that's something to discuss with your doc. Like I said, it may be that neither are a problem in your case wrt TSM.

Keep in mind too that most people take 6-12 months to reach Pharmacological Extinction with TSM, which can mean a lot of patience and persistence.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:47 pm 

Hey Joe,

Thanks again. I’ve done everything to try to get off benzos - it really comes down to being able to function at work - which I couldn’t do anymore by the end of my long benzo taper trying to get off Klonopin.

Regarding TSM; I’ve watched YouTube videos of people expressing a disinterest in alcohol almost in their first time drinking on Nal. What is that? Drinking definitely feels different from the beginning but I still drink almost the same quantity - maybe a little less. Is 6 months really average? I could do a lot of damage in 6 months of my drinking without trying to stay abstinent. My understanding was that I was supposed to drink when I felt urges. Not get crazy every night but drink almost as usual as Drinking+Nal= Extinction.

Thoughts?

Where are you at in your process?

Brian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:31 pm 

I'm 2 1/2 years in, Brian. I throttled back to a couple of six packs per month at about 6 months in and have managed to keep it there for a smidge short of 2 years.

Yeah, some get a big drop when they start TSM, but that's the Honeymoon. After that is a rebound, then more of the same on a declining trendline. Some don't see any reduction for 2-3 months.

About once a month or so, one or two fast responders will show up and they're usually done in 3-4 months.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:23 am 

Thanks for the info. Good to know I’m not alone here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:35 am 

Joe,

So if I am to understand correctly you drink about 3 beers per week? That sounds nice. I’m at about 3-5 beers per night on weeknights and 6-10 on a weekend night. What did you start at? What was your drinking like when you started TSM?

Brian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:50 am 

It's mostly in a week or so that I connect with a friend who drinks, that happens every month/month and a half. The rest of the time I mostly don't drink and probably think about it for a grand total of 5 seconds.

I started TSM in January of '16 and became indifferent to alcohol in June of that year. Prior to TSM, I was drinking 80-90 per week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:49 pm 

Wow. Good news for me. I can’t be a preacher yet because there have been no miracles so far for me. But i would love do be where you are in 5 months.

Profile E-mail