It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Discouraged
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:27 pm 

Sorry I'm so long in replying. I had a mini vacation this past weekend and haven't been to the board until tonight.

Joe and Maggie, thank you for your posts, I truly appreciate it. Your posts from here and elsewhere on the board shows that you are both caring people and I am thankful you're here.

Maggie, switching to beer is something worth considering. My first thought was that my bladder would say "meh" before my brain would and I'd wind up back on rum. Part of my mindful drinking IS having beer on Sunday. The 1-2 that I have really doesn't do much for me but it does get a small amount of AL into my body. I used to abstain that day but it's beer Sunday now. Perhaps I could add another beer day.....

I also feel like I've been drinking mindfully in that I buy my AL daily. If I buy more than that evening's worth, I wind up drinking it, so I only get 1 night's worth at a time. I also space my drinks out each evening. It's not much but it does keep me from drinking more than I do. The amount I drink may not seem like a problem to some people, but it is to me. I have to drink every night and that makes it a problem.

Joe, I read every one of the links in your reply. It has lead to set some goals that may not in themselves get me to stop drinking but will hopefully help to lessen the amount I drink. They are:

*Delay the time I start drinking, even if it's 5 minutes a day. If I can keep doing that, over time I'll start drinking at a much later time and won't need as much before I'm ready for bed.

*Try to increase the time between drinks. Same result as above.

*Never drink on an empty stomach, which is something I always do.

It's not much but it's a start. I can't say enough how much I appreciate your input, as well as Deuce and anyone else who gives their 2 cents worth. I was near giving up when I first posted. I've been on 100 mg for a couple of weeks. There's not a huge difference but I haven't got staggering drunk in that time and I'm drinking ever slightly less than before.

Hugs back at ya Maggie....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:18 pm 

Good deal, w2q! You always seem to give it your best, let us know how you get along with the changes!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:43 am 

I laughed at your bladder saying "meh" ..... that was something I never thought about - but I suppose 'cos I had only ever drunk Guinness, the bladder thing wasn't something that would be new to me .....but yes, add another beer day - try changing your beer - something with some taste and oomph to it! I too usually drank on an empty stomach ....

How are you doing with these different things? To be quite honest, once I had had that first one, all thoughts of any of the above went out the window .... but kudos to you for trying!

Hugs, Maggie

Month 12: 4 drinks TOTAL (Dec '15)
13: 2 drinks (nearly) for Jan '16 !!!
None since Jan '16 I feel that I can safely say that I am cured!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:22 pm 

Update:

Still at square one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:44 pm 

I am sorry - but you might as well keep taking the nal - what do you have to lose? I think you have been on it for 8 months? It took me nearly a year. It took ChrisB two years.....what is the alternative? That was my philosophy when I was taking it .... I would have taken it for the rest of my life in the hope that it would work eventually. I agree - for some it does not work - and I hope against hope that you are not one of those folk - I really feel for you if you are. What else have you tried? Topirimate worked for me for 8 months - but for it to work I had to get to the maximum dose for that med/purpose (it is actually a migraine med) and at that dose, I had a bad SE. PM me if you want any more info on it .... in the meantime, hang in there -

Hugs, Maggie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:52 pm 

Thanks, I appreciate it. I am very discouraged but will indeed to continue to take it. It is cheap under my insurance and like you said, what is the alternative. I don't really have any side effects, so it's as if I'm not taking it at all.

I haven't considered any other medications but I guess it's time I do so.

Thanks again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:38 pm 

Thanks for the update, w2q!

There's also Baclofen, which works on the GABA receptors. Generally, one starts with a low dose of that and works up to over 100mg per day, continuing to up the dose till you become indifferent to alcohol. Then you back down the dose till you find a maintenance dose that works for you. It may be that a relatively low dose would help you in conjunction with the Naltrexone (or you could switch to the baclofen entirely). It's not the kind of thing that you can discontinue suddenly like you can with Naltrexone, you have to wean off it.

Gabapentin is another drug that's used for AUD and helps you get down into slow wave sleep as well. It goes well with Naltrexone and seems to make the Nal more effective from what I've read. My doc started me on that for a week before he OK'd me for the Naltrexone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:43 pm 

Joe, the Gabapentin worked like a charm for me with sleeping, but did nothing at all as far as AL went....... I know that everyone is different however so maybe it is something that she can consider.

Hugs, Maggie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:21 am 

it sounds like you're mindful of many aspects of your drinking, and that counts for a LOT. keep taking the Nal and keep giving TSM a try. sometimes people have terrific results only after being on it for several months. good luck!

months 7-12: avg 13/2 AF/wk
months 13-18: avg 11/3 AF/wk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:05 am 

" I know that everyone is different however so maybe it is something that she can consider."

Right you are, Maggie.

I was just reading about a blood pressure med called Prazosin that helped people with PTSD and cut their drinking too. Doxazosin is a "me too" blood pressure med that rode on the coat tails of Prazosin (from what I've read) and also reduced drinking. There aren't a lot of studies on this, but if one needed a blood pressure med and the above would do as well as any, might be worth a go.

Profile E-mail