It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Discouraged
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:12 am 

How are you getting along with the Nal in general, any issues with side effects?

Have you noticed any difference in how drinking on Nal "feels"?

How close do you get to the 12-hour window?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:45 pm 

I have zero side effects, it's like I'm not taking it.

No difference in how alcohol feels, it's like I'm not taking it.

I don't come close to the 12 hour window. I start an hour after taking Nal and am never drinking past the 7-8 hour point (it's usually the 5 hour or so point). I generally space my drinks apart by an hour or so.

Thanks Joe. I hope someday I can give support to some one like you are doing for me. Thanks to Maggie and Deuce as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:59 am 

Our pleasure, want2quit!

Until your doc clears you for 100mg, you might try seeing if the Nal is giving you any latitude by changing your start time. Even by 15 minutes at first.

Also, after your first drink, don't keep the drink by you. I was drinking beer, so I'd open one and take a sip and put it back in the refrigerator. Then I'd get up to some little task and when it was done, I would check in with my head and see if I really wanted another sip. If so, I'd get another sip and put the beer back in the fridge and do some research on the internet. Just kind of breaking up the usual routine and seeing where you can find room to move.

Do you drink till you get a certain effect? I would typically drink till I needed to fend myself off the walls, give or take. Any faint hint of the whirlys or the room moving without my permission would mostly stop me cold and I'd quit drinking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:57 pm 

I have experimented with different start times. I've gone from 1-3 hours with no difference.

I mostly drink rum with the occasional margarita and a couple of Sunday beers. I have to purchase my alcohol daily or I wind up drinking it all. As far as how I drink, it's usually a shot every 45 minutes to an hour or so. Nothing about my drinking habits have changed in the 5 months on Nal.

I too stop at the point I'm about to stagger. That's my sweet spot.

I read that research has shown that exercise can help negate the harmful health effects of drinking. If someone could dangle a bottle of rum in front of a treadmill, my problems would be solved.

:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:21 pm 

Lol! Yeah!

Well, carry on for now and keep letting us know how it's going. Looks like next step is 100mg.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:30 am 

Been on 100 mg for a week. No change yet but still hopeful for a cure in the long term.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:11 am 

want2quit, tell us a bit more about how you're drinking and your drinking history.

Have you tried mindful drinking techniques at all? Also (just on the off chance) what is the name of the cholesterol med you're taking?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:03 am 

Generally, I average 4 drinks (50 ml) of 99 proof rum per night during the week. I take my Nal at the end of my workday and start drinking 1-2 hours after that, according to if I need to be somewhere or have something I need to do, especially if it involves driving. I do my drinking at home except for the occasional Margarita with a Mexican dinner.

I usually have a drink every 45 minutes to an hour and finish about an hour before I go to bed. On Friday and Saturday night, I'll have an extra drink or 2 and usually start later in the evening. On Sundays I try to abstain or drink no more than a beer or 2.

I started drinking on a daily basis about 20 years ago. Not sure why.

I was on Atorvastatin (Lipitor) until recently when I switched to Vytorin (another statin). I have unfortunately started on blood pressure medication. I believe that drinking is playing a major role in having high blood pressure.

I suppose I am somewhat mindful about my drinking but could do better.

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:14 am 

Is there any way that you could switch to beer? I think that it is so easy to drink spirits ..... although having said that I used to drink Guinness and had no trouble having 5-6 of those! I think it was suggested to me that I switched my drink to try and get me out of that rut - I could not do it though. Guinness is all I ever drank!

Oh and since I stopped drinking my BP is really low! I mean, I took it a few days ago and it was 108/64. The AL really does raise BP.

Keep us informed as to how you are doing and hang in there,

hugs, Maggie

Month 12: 4 drinks TOTAL (Dec '15)
13: 2 drinks (nearly) for Jan '16 !!!
None since Jan '16 I feel that I can safely say that I am cured!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:10 am 

Yes, actively looking for the indifference during a drinking session is helpful indeed. Here's some information on moderation that was posted at Options Save Lives:

http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/ ... ollTo=6921

Also, check the hint and tips for more on mindful drinking:

http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/ ... hints-tips

Maggie has a good suggestion for you there. Give it a try to see if you find the point of "meh" sooner with beer than you do with liquor.

Gc1979 found that it worked out better if liquor was out of the picture:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4879&p=63549&hilit=liquor#p63549

It may be a good exercise to use beer instead if you can find the point of indifference more quickly, then have liquor occasionally to see if you can reproduce that effect once you've experienced it.

Profile E-mail