It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Discouraged
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:19 pm 

Today marks month 5 on Naltrexone and I have had zero results. My drinking is at the same level that it was when I started. It's like I haven't been taking it at all. I have been extremely faithful to taking it at least 1 hour before drinking. Does anyone have any advice besides hang in there?

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Discouraged
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:21 pm 

If you are not a part of a support group I would suggest using that in conjunction with TSM. Also, you might want to think about upping your dose.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:49 pm 

I actually disagree with Deuce. It took me 11 months for the Nal to work for me. I always used to say to everyone - have faith and be patient! I DO know how hard it is when you think it is not going to work - but the book is so wrong about the length of time that it takes MOST people. Did you have the 'honeymoon period' ? Oh and my drinking stayed pretty much even right up until the day before I was cured! Then it was an overnight thing for me. I had been going up on intake before I started the nal - then went back to my usual intake before it started going up (if you follow). I do think that you need to leave it a little longer before trying a higher dose - I did try a higher dose somewhere along the way when I got discouraged and it did nothing for me. Please give it more time.....

hugs, Maggie

Month 12: 4 drinks TOTAL (Dec '15)
13: 2 drinks (nearly) for Jan '16 !!!
None since Jan '16 I feel that I can safely say that I am cured!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:59 pm 

Want2quit, are you taking any meds aside from the Nal?

Where are you getting the Naltrexone from?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:11 am 

Thanks for the quick replies. The only support group in my area is AA and I don't know if their attitude towards this method of treatment would be supportive. I am willing to wait for this to work if I knew it WILL work. It just seems as if I haven't been taking anything at all. I drink as much now as I did before I started Naltrexone and have had no honeymoon period. My doctor was not familiar with the Sinclair Method but agreed to let me try it. I go back to see him at the 6 month point and I fear he won't agree to continue on but will want to switch to traditional treatments. I was so sure I would beat this by now and it's discouraging to still be at square 1.

The only other meds I take are for cholesterol. I get the Nal from a national pharmacy ( I have great insurance and get it super cheap).

Thanks again to all for replying. I'm hanging in there but need reassurance this is going to work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:55 am 

My TSM doc told me that some people need 100mg and we've had posts by people that only needed 12.5mg. Maybe try bumping the dose to 75mg first?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:32 am 

Actually, I upped the dose myself to 75 mg about a month ago with the same results. I will see my doctor at the 6 month point and will see if I can go to 100 mg. When I discovered the Sinclair Method, I thought I found my miracle cure. I haven't given up yet, but as the topic says....I'm discouraged.

Thanks to all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:14 pm 

Sorry you're not seeing results yet, about 10% do everything right but Nal just doesn't do the trick for them. Might be worth a phone call to your doc to clear the 100mg dose and get that out of the way before you move on to something else or add something to the regimen.

What's your drinking style, want2quit? Daily, binge, etc?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:09 am 

Hey, want2quit - What's news with ya?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:11 am 

Hey Joe,

I'm a daily drinker. If I calculated correctly, I drink 5.6 units per day on weekdays and 7 on the weekend.

I see my doctor at the end of the month. Based on the wisdom and support I've gotten here, I'm going to tell him I want to continue this treatment, but at 100 mg. I believe he will go along with it.

I truly appreciate everyone's input to my posts. It helps to know I'm not the only one going through this.

Profile E-mail