It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Is anxiety a side effect?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:53 am 

Since I have been on TSM I have noticed that I am more anxious than I used to be. Is anxiety a side effect of Naltrexone and does it go away in time? I am doing really well on TSM and have had another Alcohol Free night tonight but the anxiety is making my social life quite difficult.
Cheers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is anxiety a side effect?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:23 am 

Anxiety isn't so much connected with Naltrexone as it is with alcohol abuse. While heavy consumption can lead to it so too can removing the sedation and coping method you've grown so accustomed to. Be patient. Over time it should subside.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:19 am 

Paddy,

This is from RXlist.com:

Side effects of Revia include weakness, tiredness, sleep problems (insomnia), increased thirst, anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, irritability, lightheadedness, fainting, muscle or joint aches, decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm. Other side effects may occur.

http://www.rxlist.com/revia-side-effect ... center.htm

However, Bardo is correct in his statement. Revia (name brand of naltrexone) is giving you the side effects reported from people that are addicts and alcoholics, so is it the nal. or lack of alcohol/drugs. It would be like seeing "cold symptoms" as a side effect on a drug, for they have to report everything.

I used alcohol to curb my anxiety (built a house and had a house on the market when it bottomed out), but when I tried to stop drinking that anxiety would return in 10 fold (not fun). I found valerian root was helpful (smells and tasty nasty) for it is natures anti anxiety drug. Naltrexone relaxes me, but I take it at night with my sleep aid (over the counter and herbs with valerian root) for I used alcohol to help with sleep.

Please stay the course and hopefully that anxiety will subside. If not trying an over the counter anti anxiety herb may help you for there are a lot of them out there and a couple of properties blends as well.

Did you have anxiety in social situations before this? Did you use alcohol as a buffer to open you up in those situations? For if you did I can understand that as well, and if that is the case it does get easier. Keeping up on current events is helpful, for it helps to have a conversation starter.

Keep at Paddy, for it sounds like you are doing great.

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:34 am 

Paddy,

I just opened up a couple of older post from you and I have a couple of questions. Are you still on the higher dose of nal? And are you still taking Stelazine?

I understand that the Stelazine is a drug that you cannot stop, but the high dose of nal (if you are still doing that) is something that you could go back to 50 mg for a spell.

I looked at your dropbox, and your drinking is just about in acceptable limits! Good for you!

Don't stop making progress, for you are looking like a normal drinker!

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:05 pm 

Jaba-

Interesting about the valerian root. I agree, it smells and tastes horrible, but it also did wonders for my sleep. It also, unfortunately caused problems below the belt line for me and to get my sex life back decided to stop taking it.... But for those that don't have that issue... I would suggest looking into it. It did work for me.

W1:78.33
2:57.13
3:57.93
4:40.66, 1AF
5:39.73
6:34.74
7:26.31
8: 47.97
9: 65.19
10:63.17
11:64.02
12:79
13:48.82
14:52.31
15:46.06
16:33.38, 1 AF
17:39.63
18:28.69

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:34 pm 

Hi all,
Jaba I've dropped back down to 50mg Naltrexone as I'm trying to save money. The 50mg is working fine on me and I'm having quite a few Alcohol Free nights. Also my cravings haven't come back on the 50mg, like I thought that they would. I am still taking the Stelazine, I'll probably need that for the rest of my life.
I had never thought that it may be my alcoholism causing my current anxiety but it makes sense. I have always suffered from anxiety but just not as pronounced as I do now but that may well be the lack of alcohol causing that as you have pointed out Bardo. Alcohol is great for masking anxiety!
I'll probably check out the Valarian Root also.
I am so happy overall with my progress on TSM, just a few niggles to work out but all my other side effects from TSM have gone now, so hopefully the anxiety will ease as well.
Thank you very much! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:05 pm 

Paddy,

If the valerian root doesn't work let me know for there are a couple of other herbs out there that can work.

I do not think that valerian will mess with Stelazine, but please check with your pharmacist before hand. I know that St. Johns Wart and Same are ones that can mess with antidepressants, but unsure of the valerian.

I want to pre-warn you that your sweat may smell as well. My friend thought the valerian smelled like old sweaty sneakers that were left in the car on a very hot day, but if it didn't work as good as it does I wouldn't take it.

Hopefully the anxiety will go away with time.

Jaba

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:53 am 

Hi Jaba,
I went to a Pharmacist today & he had run out of Valariun Root. He put me on some anti-stress pills which have L-Theanine in them & they are great! I popped one today & all of my anxiety left me. The Pharmacist said that these pills don't interact with any drugs. I told him that I was on Stelazine and Naltrexone & he said that there is no interaction. God to think that my social life has been awkward all of these years & it could have been relieved by some over the counter pills! I am quite annoyed that none of my doctors or therapists over the years have suggested that I take an anti-anxiety pill! All of those awful parties when I was so on edge, I could have enjoyed just by popping some of these!
Thank you Jaba for suggesting that I take something for my anxiety, you may have cured my problem!
I'm a bit of a walking pill bottle now though as I take Stelazine, Naltrexone, Magnesium & now L-Theanine but if it improves my quality of life then I'm going for it!
Thank you once again. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am 

Paddy,

I am happy that you have found something that works. Herbs are something that have been used for centuries and it is a shame more people do not utilize them. My sleep aid has L-Theanine along with a couple of other things including valerian root (which is why I take it) and I find it is better than valerian root alone.

I go to a doctor that actually has a certificate in herbal medicine and belongs to a group of doctors that does alternative therapy (which my son calls voodoo witchcraft). She prefers to give people an alternative if open to it, but she claims more people want a prescription (which is sad).

Sometimes people may have to rotate or take time off of herbs, so you may want to get valerian root and alternate between the two. But, if you are only take the L-Theanine once in a while it should be okay. One of my friends took valerian roots for a long time in high doses and now it causes the opposite effect to him and it makes him wired; however, he has a severe sleep disorder and, no health insurance, so he is trying to keep things under control until he has a job with insurance.

I just read about L-Theanine and it seems that it has some value with people who drink alcohol (the article is below), for it lowers the alcohol levels in mice. I am unsure as to what it will do to someone on nal and drinking, so be careful and watch your intake incase it causes an increase. I hope the opposite happens and your intake decreases, but time will tell.

Keep me posted on your intake and how the L-Theanine works for you.

Jaba

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2 ... ne/page-01

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:23 pm 

Not for me.