It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help! Drinking spiked three weeks in
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:48 pm 

Reassurance needed.
Ive been on Naltrexone for three weeks and the first two weeks were great - down from two bottles of wine a night to three glasses and a couple of AF days.

In the last week through my drinking has been back up to at least one and a half bottles a day and my cravings are persistent.

I am taking low does seroquel for sleep. Could this interfere?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Help! Drinking spiked three weeks in
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:38 pm 

That sounds like normal TSM, Raffi. If you search for "Honeymoon" here you'll find lots of posts about it. Virtually everyone that gets an initial reduction from TSM later will see a rebound that could be like a little goosebump, or it could spike to pre-TSM levels. Just keep taking the Nal an hour before your first drink and if you can, wait till you actually crave a drink before you take the Nal. You should see that increase roll off more slowly to a new low. TSM is full of these variations, but the biggest swing is usually at the beginning. The first folks that started posting on this board would often say that TSM is a rollercoaster. That's just the addicted part of your brain fighting to get you back in the addiction rut, don't think that TSM isn't working for you. It's actually proof that it is working for you.

You'll also see a 3-4 month timeline mentioned, but from the many self-reports that I've read, TSM takes most people 6-12 months. You should see drinking levels dropping month over month, but daily and weekly levels can jump around quite a bit.

I'd say though, that you got a pretty good early confirmation from the Nal. Think of it as a "sneak preview".

You can use mindfulness techniques to help things along. I started leaving my beer in the fridge after I opened it, so I wouldn't just sip it automatically. That's good for changing the rate of drinking. You can also work on your Start Time (by waiting for the craving and taking the pill 15 minutes later, for example), or your Stop Time. You can jigger with all 3 in rotation to see which one is easiest to work with. That's one way of using active reduction techniques while TSM is working in the background, helping with passive reduction.

Or you can just take the pill an hour before and simply let TSM work in the background. Most of the people that have posted here since 2009 didn't use any mindfulness techniques, they simply stayed 100% compliant with taking the pill at least an hour before their first drink and they eventually reached Pharmacological Extinction. So whichever way appeals to you is fine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:05 pm 

Thanks again JoeSixPack.

I managed an AF day on Sunday and while I did drink yesterday I poured my fourth then put it back as I really didn’t want it so I am feeling a little more encouraged.

Another question - can the Naltrexone increase the affects of alcohol - as in hangover symptoms? I feel awful today after three drinks last night. As bad as if I’d had my usual two bottles of wine. Or is it that my tolerance might have reduced even though Ive had a drinking spike?

Not overly worried - probably a good thing as it might put me off finishing that bottle today. Just curious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:09 pm 

No problem, Raffi!

Drinking on Naltrexone can indeed cause the infamous "Nalover". It may be due to a lack of endorphins to cushion the blow the next morning. Odd thing is, not everybody gets them. You may want to try changing what you're drinking. It might make a difference, but I don't know for sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:23 am 

And I’m back up to two bottles today. WTF????!!!???
And I had a good day. Stresses in the background definitely but overall not bad.

I only drink Chardonnay. Nothing else. If there’s no Chardonnay I’m not drinking. But I can always get Chardonnay.

Am so annoyed with myself. Why do we do this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:30 am 

That's just normal TSM, Raffi. See what you can do to break up the habitual part of drinking, that can help you along quite a bit. But yeah... after a low there's going to be a rebound, so plan some evasive maneuvers to counter it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:39 am 

Am sitting here with a wine and just boggling. For want of a better word.

Wish I could intellectualise it but I can’t.

Hopefully just a bad day.

Tomorrow’s another one.

Thanks JoeSixPack. I appreciate you being here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:17 am 

P.S. Why are you awake at this hour?

Normal for me in NZ but crazy time for you maybe?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:47 am 

I often tend to stay up late, but I'm trying to drive it back a few hours.

You might want to check out http://optionssavelives.freeforums.net/, there's a little more traffic over there.

Profile E-mail