It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Overeating with nal
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 am 

I have been on nal for 6 weeks now. It gave me terrible nausia so started at 6 mg and slowly worked up to 25mg. Doc gave me promethazine 25 mg which helps . So far other side effects are acne which I have never had in my life (I'm 55) and weight gain. I still drink 2 bottles of wine a day no change there but I desire sweet foods and whatever trigger I had to stop eating seems to have gone, it's like I keep eating and eating because I don't feel satisfied. Has anyone else experienced this? The only other meds I take are levothyroxine 75mg for Hashimotos thyroid .

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Overeating with nal
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 pm 

I'm scratching my head on this one, Bongo! I've heard of people having less of an appetite on TSM, but not the other way around. You might want to connect with Joanna at c3foundationeurope.org, perhaps she's heard of this? In the meantime, make sure your doc is up to date on your situation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:51 am 

Thanks for the reply JoeSixpack. I am having a couple other symptoms like night sweats and feeling angry and I think the nal may be messing with my thyroid. Will get some bloodwrk done and post results in a couple weeks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:52 pm 

so just an update. I had liver, cholesterol and thyroid tests done. My liver enzymes had doubled but the doc was not worried about it as still only marginaly above normal, however it got me worried as I know the liver often has to be in bad shape before anything detected so I took my last nal and glass of wine on Jan 25 2018. After 30 years I just stopped. I had been taking nal for 3 months at 1/2 the dosage as full strength made me nauseous. That last glass of wine tasted bitter and I lost all desire to drink. Within the first week people noticed I didn't look tired anymore. I was able to go out to dinner without being tempted to drink. I never thought I would be able to do this . Next week will be a record for me. In 30 years I have never gone more than six weeks without alcohol. The hardest part for me was the "what do I do now" syndrome and what have I been doing wasting all this time,money and my health for the last 30 years! I pretty much do the same things but I'm more present and engaged. I take more exercise and even though the nal seemed to make me overeat when I stopped taking it and stopped drinking the weight just fell off. 10 lbs so far! Btw I did taper from 2 bottles to 1 before stopping. I did not have any immediate withdrawal however I have what I think is protracted withdrawal symptoms. PAWS (there is another forum for this) My symptoms are frequent urination, dislike of spicy foods and headaches. i have had theses symptoms previously when trying to give up and I know they come back worse each time, however they are subsiding everyday, and way better than waking up at 3am with the heebiejeebies and a hangover the next day! Thank you TSM for giving me my life back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:23 am 

Congratulations Bongo! If you ever have the urge for a drink, just make sure to take the Nal first, so keep some on you just in case. Better to have it go bad sitting unused in your wallet or the like rather than drinking without it. That aside, enjoy your alcohol-free life!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:02 pm 

Thank you JoeSixPack. I now have a pill necklace I carry with my Nal at all times I hope I never have to use it, but better safe then sorry. I hope more people get to find out about Nal. My PCP had no clue but I found a wonderful physiatrist called Dr. Underwood in Tucson AZ who was able to help me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:14 am 

Did your doc know about TSM, or did he tell you to take it every day?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:57 pm 

The doc said to take NAL everyday but I told her I planned do TSM. I showed her the TSM book. She was listed as a Nal prescribing doc on the TSM website. I also called a couple of recovery centers and they would not prescribe Nal unless I stayed with them for 6 weeks as an inpatient for $$$. I am in the wine business and I was greatly inspired by the lady in the movie who owned a winery and was able to stop drinking with NAL. I can not understand why Nal is not more widely available. My prescription cost $12 a month and I was able to do it privately by myself with just 3 x 1 hour visits to the doc. It truly has changed my life. Thank you for your support.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:50 pm 

That is just awesome, Bongo! I'm so glad you came across TSM and were able to get off the centuries-old "immediate abstinence" merry-go-round!

Profile E-mail