It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help! Drinking more after 3 months on Nal
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:45 am 

I’ve just passed the 3 month mark of taking Nal and I have been drinking more than usual for about a month. Mornings were always rough before - but much worse now.

I’m a very regular drinker. Every evening without exception. I start about 4:30pm and drink until bedtime at about 11:30pm. Generally consume about 5-7 standard drinks per night, but the past month has shot up to 9 or more. I can’t explain why. I would say I drink until I feel a warm glow and feel tired, then I can go to sleep. Maybe the warm glow is taking longer?

I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions are welcome.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Help! Drinking more after 3 months on Nal
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:18 am 

Welcome to TheSinclairMethod, Couchey!

TSM normally is very up and down, if you search for Honeymoon on this board you'll find some reading material about it. The Honeymoon is usually the most marked drop/rebound, but it goes on to some degree throughout TSM.

Are you taking any other medications, like antidepressants, sleep aids or anti-anxiety meds?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 pm 

No, just high blood pressure meds - as drinkers often do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:42 pm 

This sounds about par for the course, Couchey. Are you tracking/logging your drinks? About how much were you drinking prior to TSM?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 am 

Pretty much all in my first post.

I was tracking but I’m so consistent and habitual that I stopped, because I know what my numbers are.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 pm 

I'd suggest working on breaking up the habit. Wait till you actually crave a drink, then start an hour after that point per the Golden/One Hour Rule. Someone's doc recently suggested that they wait two hours and seemed to be getting good results with that.

You can work on the rate of drinking by leaving your drink in another room and keeping a NA drink close by, so you don't habitually chain-sip. The last part of the equation would be to change your quit time. Try pushing on each one (start, rate, quit) and see where you can make some progress.

The other thing you can do is talk to your doc about increasing the dose. My TSM doc said some people do fine with 25mg and others need as much as 100mg. Another person recently reported that they didn't see progress till they went with 150mg.

Isradipine is a blood pressure med that seems to help people cut back their drinking, google Isradipine and alcohol and check out the articles. Perhaps discuss it with your doc, there are others that have a similar reputation if your doc doesn't like Isradipine in particular.

If you're drinking hard liquor, try switching it out for beer or wine. Liquor acts rather quickly, another form of alcohol might give your brain a bit more time to tell you "enough for now" before it gets so anesthetized that it become mum on the subject.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:16 am 

Trouble with beer is that I get gout sometimes. My feet hurt like a sonofabitch!

Unfortunately, any attempts I have made over the years to cut back are met with an all-consuming, deep-seeded desire to drink.

I'll talk to my Dr about Isradipine though. But she's almost taking my lead on TSM and Nal dosing. Maybe I do some reading first and just up the dose myself.

I'm not sure if 3 months is too soon to change course though. I think it still may be early in the process.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 pm 

If you're inclined to have more patience with the current dose and perhaps work on habit-busting techniques, I think that would be a fine approach. You could also try using a mixer with the liquor to get it down to 12 or 13% to help you slow the pace. Perhaps something unsweetened or minimally sweetened with a touch of stevia in it if needed?

You might also peruse the Find a Physician list for a TSM doc, they're under the Verified and Telemedicine sections:

http://www.cthreefoundation.org/find-a-physician.html

MDProactive covers a number of States via telemedicine and their fee is about $40 as I recall.

Profile E-mail