It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Alcohol Substitutions and Replacements
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:55 pm 

When trying to reduce my alcohol consumption, I find that at the end of a long day I still really want a fancy drink in a glass. What's worked for other people?

My favorite non-alcoholic drink has been sparkling water, a splash of pomegranate juice, and the juice of half a lime. I put it in a wine glass and since it has a similar color to wine, I find it very satisfying.

Recently, I also tried Kombucha and it's equally great. Health Ade has been my favorite brand, and again, I put it in a wine or beer glass to enjoy. Because it's fermented there's still a small amount of alcohol in it (<1%), but not nearly enough for me to feel an effect from it. It tastes almost identical to a dry hard cider.

In addition to drinking these on AF days, I have to replace another glass or wine/beer on evenings that I drink. It definitely has helped to put some space between drinks.

Has anyone had experience with NA beer or alcohol removed wine? Or any other recommendations?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Alcohol Substitutions and Replacements
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:56 pm 

I've found Bitburger Drive to be quite good.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Alcohol Substitutions and Replacements
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:48 am 

I tend to like really sour drinks as alcohol alternatives. Lemon-flavored carbonated water, really sour lemonade/limeade, etc. It forces me to drink it in small sips (like alcohol), instead of drinking the whole glass in one go, which I find happens easily when I drink sweet beverages.

OR if I'm in a restaurant I get the most delicious, ridiculous non-alcoholic beverage possible, the thing I would previously have always wanted to order but wouldn't because I'd get alcohol instead. Fancy milkshakes, mango lassi, etc.

I don't really like non-alcoholic beer, wine, etc.

Profile E-mail