It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TMI Sex
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:52 am 

Okay, I looked up the sex on naltrexone threads, but it seems to be mostly guys weighing in. Guys, feel free, but I'd especially love to hear from my girls on this one.

The research seems to be all over the place and all on men. One study found that naltrexone increased (male) libido and resulted in more and more satisfying orgasms, others used it successfully to treat compulsive (male) sexual behavior. The known side-effects include low libido and difficulty having orgasms. What. Is. The. Deal.

Okay, TMI time...
Libido is unchanged, time to orgasm longer, but the weirdest is that orgasms are unsatisfying. That is the most bizarre sentence I have ever typed. It is really disconcerting. Anyone else have this experience?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: TMI Sex
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:26 pm 

It does seem to have an slight effect, but I'm only taking it twice a week. Nothing too dramatic though.

A Naltrexoned Male

< 20 units/ month. 4 or more AF days/wk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:41 pm 

Guapo wrote:
It does seem to have an slight effect...

Do you mind sharing what the effect is? For men (in the studies I saw, anyway), it seems it can enhance or impede.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:04 pm 

Usually impedes, but not dramatically.

It certainly wouldn't be a dealbreaker for taking it.

< 20 units/ month. 4 or more AF days/wk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:33 pm 

My libido has been down before the TSM due to weight gain and not feeling sexy in general. But yesterday, I had some sparks of interest. Aunt Flo is visiting so .... :?

Another weird thing that I felt yesterday that I forgot to mention was that I had a couple of instances where I felt a little like I did when I first met my husband and we were dating. A fresh, and new kinda feeling... :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:29 pm 

Hi Magda,
I came here looking for some answers on this topic too. I am also uncomfortable typing this, but I'm concerned, so here goes. Libido is down, but that also has something to do with wicked hot flashes. In any case, when we do get to it, arousal can bring on an unpleasant sensation in my face and chest that I have to ignore/breathe through/worry about. Yes, orgasm is less satisfying. My relationship is dandy, and the naltrexone is the only thing that changed. I'm almost 10 months in, I still drink every day, but it's a couple of glasses of wine in the evening instead of rather a lot of glasses of wine. So is it just me?
sb

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:26 pm 

Remember that there is a rebound effect when you stop taking the Nal (Selective Extinction, chapter 9 in The Cure for Alcoholism). Endorphin receptors are upregulated about 48 hours after your last dose, so any endorphin producing activity (brisk exercise, sex, spicy foods, etc) may well feel extra rewarding. Not every one that uses TSM has noticed this though.

Falling/low progesterone has been linked to increased drinking and it does seem to decrease the effect of Naltrexone, so you may need more when your estrogen is high and progesterone is low. Alcohol also aromatizes androgens to estrogen, as I understand it.

Profile E-mail