It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Questions: Vivitrol
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 pm 

I am 56 years old and have had every addiction in the (ad)dictionary. I know they are all about endorphins. My question: Is Vivitrol monthly IV just as effective as Naltrexone tablets? I am lucky enough to have a $50 co-pay for a $1,000 shot! My first dose was this past Friday, May 29. All of the literature says I MUST have been abstinent for a minimum of 1 week before starting Vivitrol and that I am NOT to touch a drop...even in cough syrup.

Well of course both were impossible... (my cortex understands...but my limbic system does not). I carry a medic alert that I am on Vivitrol in case of an emergency because my physician prescribers have scared me to death. No need to go into abstinence and increased cravings as you know.

Four days after my shot, I've kept a diary and have already noticed a big difference. I have such increased energy I finally got back to exercise...will Vivtrol impair the endorphins I want from healthy habits?

What could happen if I take Naltrexone pill before a known alcohol trigger. Can I overdose?

I view my problem like diabetes....no one judges a diabetic who requires insulin....so I presume someday people will know that Naltrexone is the same.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Questions: Vivitrol
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:49 am 

I would say that with a shot of Vivitrol, you should drink every day the drug is active in your system. Why bother with a pill? After this shot wears off, maybe go to the pill form so you can enjoy some AF days.

Good luck!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:04 am 

Boy does that sound attractive!! I am new to this and am halfway through Dr Eskapa's book. I keep expecting to not feel high on alchohol, but I still do. Is this right?

I've even been known to drink while lifting weights or running to max out those endorphins! I am learning now what my triggers are and am keeping a diary. Would I "overdose" if I took a Nal tablet before drinking on top of the vivitrol shot?

One night (actually the night after my Vivitrol shot) my husband and I went out with friends to a wonderful gourmet restaurant in the woods in Idaho. I drank an apple martini, scotch rocks, and 3 glasses of wine. I felt so bad the next day just the thought of a drink made me cringe. It wasn't at all like the hangovers I used to get, just all over malaise. I want to feel that repulsion for alcohol all the time (but not by feeling sick)

Does the Sinclair method get you there?

Also has anyone had experience with Campral?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:21 pm 

chelate wrote:
...Also has anyone had experience with Campral?
I took Campral for a year and a half with absolutely no affect on my drinking. I would quit, then resume over and over again. It was sad.

Campral does work on some folks as a GABA agonist. If you are in that fortunate group, then quitting drinking is relatively easy. I forget the efficacy rate, but it has the highest rate of success of any drug with abstinence, although it is still has a somewhat dismal success rate based on the general population of alcoholics.

Naltrexone + drinking (TSM) has the highest efficacy rate if you have the patience.

Bob

Wk1-52:40,42,39,28,33,33,43,40,36,30,34,30,30║30,38,13,25,4,22,12,6,9,5,9,3,5║6,6,5,4,9,6,0,9,2,2,5,4,4║3,4,5,3,4,2,6,2,6,4,8,2,2u
W53-91: 4, 2, 2, 2, 3, 2, 1, 5, 4,17, 0, 0, 0║ 3, 0, 3, 0,3, 0, 2,0,0,0,0,0,0║0,0,0,2,0,2,0,0,3,0,0,2,0u
"Cured" @ Week 21 (5 Months),         Current Week: 97  (23rd Month)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:03 pm 

Campral did not fare well for efficacy in the COMBINE study.

Chelate -- Are you here to join us in following the Sinclair Method? I strongly recommend you read Dr. Eskapa's book. Also, if you go to the board index, you will see topics that answer many of your questions. It's especially important that you educate yourself because you started with a vivitrol injection. Simply taking naltrexone is not the same thing as following TSM. After the first month or two, it is better to take the nal tablets so you can skip nal if you are ready for an alcohol-free day. Please read up about that. And please keep us posted on your progress.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 pm 

Yes. I'm doing TSM and have read and am following the book. I live in an area where progressive thinking is not the norm....particularly when it comes to health and medicine. I just joined the group and am working my way through the postings which I do find very helpful.

I had to convince a psychiatrist to prescribe the Vivitrol...but I am learning that it's not the best approach because it doesn't deal with "selective extinction". I plan to go to oral Nal at the end of the month when the vivitrol wears off.

Did you read my post to Dr. Eskaba RE: toxic heavy meatals / neuotransmitter imblalnce/ and tendencies toward addicitions to try to get to equilibrium? What do you think? I would like to hear your opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:46 pm 

Many doctors are now available at the online forum and having to fill out the data which will make you happy to all know factors. Some kind of essay writing websites will help you out to make the difference on the good side.

Profile E-mail