It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Taking Naltrexone every morning: Question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:39 pm 

If I take Naltrexone every morning and drink (typically in the evening) as I normally would, would this be as effective as simply taking it only prior to drinking? In other words, is the Sinclair Method weakened or invalidated if I take pills even on days I don't drink?

I ask this because I have deliberately not taken pills prior to drinking on some occasions in the past. I want to avoid this temptation altogether and establish a morning routine. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by ullrichX on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Taking Naltrexone every morning: Question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:10 pm 

I believe the response to this is in the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:58 pm 

ullrichX wrote:
If I take Naltrexone every morning and drink (typically in the evening) as I normally would, would this be as effective as simply taking it only prior to drinking? In other words, is the Sinclair Method weakened or invalidated if I take pills even on days I don't drink?

I ask this because I have deliberately not taken pills prior to drinking on some occassions in the past. I want to avoid this tempation altogether and establish a morning routine. Thanks for your advice.

I see you saw Dr. Eskapa's answer but I will simply say that you want to target the use of Naltrexone to yor drinking and best as possible. Nal will act on other experiences which may not be beneficial. I would stay with the "one hour before" principle.

Having said that, if you are unsure whether you will drink then by all means take your Nal. But why not just carry it with you, as I do?

50 mg /since Jan 13, 2009 << you do the math
Average AF days 6/wk
Average Drinking < 4 drinks/wk

I now count days on Nal, rather than drinking days.

Drinking to my Health

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:31 am 

You probably didn't see my stuff here - I'm sure it's scattered amongst several areas, but here's what I have to say about your question: I took the drug almost every day (each morning) as instructed by my doctor. Didn't seem to help at all, but I wasn't really tracking my results. It just seemed like more worthless BS crammed down my throat, so I didn't really care... And I know that since I didn't think it worked, I drank at times without taking it - (just like missing my vitiamins/supplements due to laziness or whatever). This is NOT a good idea from what I understand. It can actually become couter-productive to your progress.

Even though it seems like taking Nal will be the answer to our problems, it has to be done properly. I've found it difficult sometimes to wait an hour when hit with a really strong urge. The old - "well I'm a loser anyway, so why should I follow the rules now" thing slaps me in the face. But then I realize that facing the choice is part of the process. I almost always want to drink, but it's a good start that I can last for at least an hour before blowing it. That's been my problem lately - not really trying at all, and then feeling justified because of this Sinclair Method - that's a cop out. I need to get back to wanting to NOT drihnk. No matter what program, I think you have to be willing and sincere in your desire to control or stop drinking. I've had a really hard time the last couple of weeks - life just sucks sometimes, whether you drink or not.

I love the support of the people here, but have honestly felt too down to stay in touch lately. I kinow you'll understand, but I still feel bad ,and apologize for nor trying. Next week will be better - the only way to go is up!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:39 am 

Hi Kris

I was wondering how you were doing...just a thought- why don't you start a weekly progress thread?
Sort of makes you feel a bit more accountable and it is very interesting for you and others to track your progress.

Hope you are feeling a bit better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:04 am 

KrazyKris wrote:
That's been my problem lately - not really trying at all, and then feeling justified because of this Sinclair Method - that's a cop out. I need to get back to wanting to NOT drihnk. No matter what program, I think you have to be willing and sincere in your desire to control or stop drinking. I've had a really hard time the last couple of weeks - life just sucks sometimes, whether you drink or not.

Kris,
Let's get you a thread started. We need to talk girl. The key here is a little regimentation. Nal first - drinking second. Though one hour is the desired, if you make it to 30 minutes, you are probably covered.

Without a doubt, your self-esteem has been beaten severely. Not drinking will help it some but will also expose you to feelings that you had been drowning with alcohol. For right now, just follow the Sinclair Method to the tee. That means that when you choose to drink, do so only on Naltrexone.

If you have someone close that you can talk to, do that. Journalling also helps. PM'ing to some of the girls here will also help. I would make some recommends but then I would probably end up in the middle of a cat fight. You are not alone. Stay engaged.

We all care.

50 mg /since Jan 13, 2009 << you do the math
Average AF days 6/wk
Average Drinking < 4 drinks/wk

I now count days on Nal, rather than drinking days.

Drinking to my Health

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:08 pm 

Please folks - read the book carefully. While it may be interesting for some to find out how and why the treatment works it is far more important to do it properly, meticulously. Follow directions closely. Please do not play around with such an important step in your life. If the book says take naltrexone 1 hour before drinking (ok 30 minutes) please do not take it in the morning 8 hours before drinking. There are many reasons why this is not a great idea. The Finnish clinical trials are based on 1 hour prior to drinking and that's where we see results of 78 % abstaining or drinking less than 9 drinks per week AFTER 3 years! This is unheard of in alcohol treatment research. If you have a significant other you can enlist to assist you with taking your medication, your drinking diary, and craving levels all the better. Eventually there will be trained therapists in this treatment and it will become routine. Ever the optimist, I am.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:47 pm 

Thanks for your advice and encouragement Dr. Eskapa. I have a question that I've seen elsewhere in this community, but can't remember where, or what the answer was. So here goes: I sometimes take Nal in the morning, whether I drink (most likely) or not. If I then am going to drink 12 hours or so later, should I just take it again? That's what I've been doing, just to be "safe". I guess the confusion is how long can I expect the drug to remain in my system, and if it's proven to be relatively safe, is there much chance of causing harm by taking it more than once a day?

Probably everyone's system is different, so there may not be a definitive answer. It just seems easier to test the system on rats whose rates/times of drinking can be controlled, but humans are so unpredictable! It seems ridiculous that I would have to be concerned about having 2 separate bouts of drinking in the same day, but until I get this under control (and hopefully GET A JOB!), that's quite possible. For now, I'll take the Nal again just in case. Do you see a problem with that?

Thanks again for all that you do! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:53 pm 

I was just about to post a question on this topic. Wow! As instructed by my doctor, I take Nal every morning to reduce cravings, which it did help a lot with. I decided to use this method because I am a very impulsive drinker and if I don't take the Nal everyday and instead try to take it when a craving hits, well I know without a shadow of a doubt that I will not take the pill.
Then I did a bit of experimenting....
I usually take Nal around 7:30/8:00am; however last night I really wanted to see how it would feel to get really drunk on it (I know, sorry. I'm not endorsing this because it was a stupid idea). Anyhow, I started drinking around 4pm and continued on into the evening. I got very drunk, however it wasn't a happy drunk. I was very lucid and my thoughts didn't shut off like they usually do when I drink.
So today I took my Nal around noonish instead of early morning and I started drinking wine around 3:00 today. I have to tell you that after 2 glasses, I really don't want any more, and this is unheard of for me!! If alcohol is there, I will drink it until there is none left and then I usually go out for more.
I don't know if this answered your question. I'm experimenting on Nal as it is. From what I've surmised, I do see a major difference in the time you take the pill and when you drink. However, everyone's different.
Best of luck. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:32 am 

Clearance of the community is depicted for the comfort of the kids. The argument of the society and https://www.topdissertations.org/thesisrush-review/ is visited for the candidates. The security is filled in the amplification of the sorts for the passengers in the blog and its traffic for the individuals.

Profile E-mail