It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Second time trying the Sinclair Method
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:48 am 

Joesixpack,
Thanks for your support-it helps.

Had two fairly good nights of 3 drinks each night. My game plan is to take Nal and Zolpedium at 10:00 and hope to fall asleep by 11:30. If I'm still awake i take a gatorade to bed and sip it until 12:00. If I am still awake I drink one shot of vodka and sip it for 30 minutes. Then a glass of gatorade and sip that for30 minutes. I keep alternating until I fall asleep. Even with 3 shots I have a mild hangover but much less than when I did 4-8 shots of scotch per night. I'm thinking that if I can hold it at 3 drinks a night that's 21 per week which the "Cure for Alcoholism" says is an acceptable level. We will see what happens next. Feel like I am making good progress.

The Nal is amazing in that it completely takes away the urge to drink. So much easier to control your intake.

Many thanks for your help Joesixpack.
Heatus

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:42 pm 

You're very welcome indeed, Heatus!

Sounds like a good strategy and 3 is more than a 50% from your previous high level. Keep us updated on how it's going for you.

Bringing it down to 21 would be a great goal. I think NIAAA "low risk" drinking levels are under 15 per week so that would maybe be the next goal after 21 per week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:22 pm 

Hi Joesixpack,

Last few days have started to feel some anxiety (very unusual for me), little rapid heartbeat and some shortness of breath. All three are side effects of Naltronex and all three are new to me. Going to try not drink at all tonight and make an appointment next week with my Doc to explore. Very happy with my progress just a little concerned at the moment. Thanks again for your guidance and motivation.
Cheers,
heatus

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:45 pm 

Sorry you ran into some worrisome side effects, Heatus! Please let us know how it turns out!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:50 am 

Hi Joesixpack,
As I said, my side effects were anxiety, rapid heart beat and shortness of breath. I forgot to add a nauseousness toward rich food and eating less than normal. When googling Nal's side effects they were all there. Funny that I have been taking Nal religiously for seven weeks before these side effects showed up.

On Friday night I decided to take 1/2 of the 50 mg pill. Was able to get through the night with 3 drinks and felt very good the next day. Also all the side effects were gone. Sunday night was also 3 drinks. Sunday morning woke more refreshed than any morning in a long time. Hoping to continue this for a week giving me a total of 21 for the week down from about 55-60 before I started.

Feeling a small urge to drink now that I am on the 1/2 pill. This Nal pill is really quite amazing. Shame that so few know about it.

Joesixpack, thanks for your support.
heatus

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:17 am 

You're certainly welcome, Heatus!

Maybe try bumping it to 37.5? As long as you have full coverage of your opioid receptors, you're good to go. But that's not something that you would necessarily feel, ergo Dr. Sinclair's recommendation for 50mg as being the right dose for most people.

Odd timing on the side effects, for sure.

It is indeed a shame that more don't know about it. The word is spreading though. We're getting more and more doctors on the "Find a Physician" list.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:57 pm 

Been a while since my last post. Have moved to Florida from New Hampshire for the winter. Averaging about 31 drinks per week down from around 50 when I started in mid July. Past few days the urge to drink has become much stronger. Normally my urge to drink is at about 5:00 but yesterday and today the urge has been very strong around 12:00 noon. Wondering if it is safe to take more that 1 50 mg Nal per day. Took the Nal at 12 noon and the urge is there but not as strong as it was a few hours ago.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:03 pm 

As I understand it, you're supposed to redose in the 10th hour if you're going to be drinking 12 hours after the first dose. As far as quantity per dose, my own TSM doc told me that some people get by fine with 25, while some need 100mg. The optimal timing is to wait till you crave, then take the Nal and wait an hour. If you need to redose, you should wait another hour before proceeding to drink.

It's normal for the urge to rise and fall, often it peaks and your drinking will follow for a week or two just before it dives again. Week by week, TSM is very up and down, but month by month you should see a decline. That's one reason tracking is so important.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:46 pm 

Joesixpack,
That's helpful. Crazy day for me. Very strong cravings started about 11 am. Took a 50 Nat at noon. Cravings all afternoon. Had a drink a 5pm and took another Nal 50 at 7 pm. Almost never even think about drinking until about 4 pm. My wife thinks that as I have cut back so much that is increasing the cravings.
Cheers,
heatus

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:34 pm 

If you look at someone's TSM graph, it's always the rise and fall, rise and fall. After a new low the brain's receptors get upregulated and the brain reaches our harder for it's "old drinkin' buddy". Eventually, as you keep up the blockade, drinking levels drop back down. You'll find plenty of posts here that say "TSM is a rollercoaster".

Profile E-mail