It is currently Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: First week
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:12 pm 

Hi, I'm new here. I just started taking Naltrexone last Monday. (7 days ago) I was amazed that it worked immediately! I thought it could take up to 3 months to work. But the very first day I took the pill (50 mg) and had a glass of wine an hour later. I drank it slowly (never happens) and didn't need another. But I did pour another but didn't finish it. And, my when my husband was having drinks later that evening I had no interest. Normally I couldn't let him drink without also having something. Most of the rest of the week went similarly. I did have some side effects that have mostly gone- upset stomach, jittery, hard to sleep. I'm still not sleeping well, and the worst thing which I have not seen anyone else mentioning is that I've been sweating A LOT at night. So much that I'm getting up and changing my night shirt 2 or 3 times, and twice I had to actually change the sheets. I'm 53 years old and used to have hot flashes and night sweats but that's pretty much been over until now.

I've pretty much had 1- 3 drinks each day this week, and some days did not finish the last one. Before this week I was drinking a half large bottle of wine or more, or sometimes half bottle of vodka most days. I have not been having any cravings. It's been more of a habit.

But yesterday was different and I don't know why. I took the pill and went grocery shopping it took longer than expected and it was almost 2 hours instead of one when I had my first drink. I had a kind of large glass of wine. (Finished the bottle that lasted all week!) I noticed that I really seemed to enjoy it, which has not been the case before while taking these pills. After dinner while watching tv I made a vodka tonic. I enjoyed that too, and ended up drinking more than I counted. I'm not sure, maybe 6. I got that feeling that I finally feel good again and so stayed up till 3am drinking. Felt like **** this morning and I don't understand what happened. I was considering having no alcohol today but couldn't bring myself to go there yet and just took the pill 10 minutes ago. I'm going to try to limit my drinks to 1 or two.

Does anyone know what happened yesterday? Any suggestions?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: First week
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:18 am 

Hi Taurus, just writing to say hello. I'm a newbie myself (I am on week 2+ of naltima).

Bardo and others led me to "Options Saves Lives Forum" where there's more activity. Many of us seem to have accounts one both forums :).

Regarding your question, it sounds people on these forums have said after initial success, for many people there seems to be a period of what they term "the lizard brain returns". They have been telling people to stay compliant and keep at it. Note I don't have credentials to say much but just echoing what I've read around these forums.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:39 am 

Hi Caveman,

Thanks. Yes, I have also read that now. After that day it went back to working until last night and it happened again! Drank half a large bottle of wine! Wtf!?
I will keep on staying with the program.
I read about that other forum but couldn't find it. Thanks for that. Maybe I'll see you there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:14 pm 

The link to the other forum is below. Definitely hope you stay with TSM. For me, it is literally saving my life and my job.

Bardo wrote:

Profile E-mail